Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: StrazzV

Ah yes, I see that now. Good thinking too.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Hammered finish went on this morning and first coat of black on back of neck yesterday. Will carry over the hammered finish onto the face of the headstock once the backside is completed and the sides of the headstock can be taped off safely. Also thinking white tusq nut to match neck binding and perloid white TRC to match the pickguard. Black control knobs and switch tip. We shall see what pans out.

Well that is starting to look pretty special.

Cool! Will you be clearing the body and neck also?

Just wondering about how clear over hammered would work.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Cool! Will you be clearing the body and neck also?

Just wondering about how clear over hammered would work.
    Will be satin clearing the back of the neck. The Hammered doesn't need clear apparently. A) I hear it doesn't need it as it's quite robust B) It doesn't tend to like taking any type clear over the top. It will be a suck it and see situation. About 15 minutes in, it was hard as a rock. But I'll be away for a few nights now, so plenty of time to bed in

Musing with the TRC while I wait for the clear to fully harden and procrastinate on wiring. Macgyvered up a smaller version of the flying V TRC, which i rekon is a little more subtle than the full size one.

I think I'll get away with the slight mismatch in colour between it and the pickguard. They are never going to be this close for scrutiny sake anyway.

Only other thing I thought of was to go black, by putting black vinyl on top. In which case, would it be better as a 3 ply or single ply? Knobs and switch tip will be black as will the pups.

You might possibly be able to stain it darker using cold tea.

The TRC shape doesn't quite follow the curve of the headstock, so the points on it look slightly awkward to me. I'd cut out a paper version where the curve stays equidistant from the curve of the headstock and see if that looks a bit better. If you prefer it, then it should be easy to modify the current TRC shape. If you don't, well it's only taken a couple of minutes to try.

Would a couple of layers of clear coat on the truss rod cover take the edge off the whiteness and match it more with the pick guard? (Read SB’s post. Cold tea, something to remember).

Gone for a slightly different shape and gave it a spray of clear. Will see how it turns out once cured

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast