Thread: Minor concerns and questions......

Minor concerns and questions......

So, got another kit....a nice tele with a bigsby style trem. I'll start another build thread for this one soon. Just looking at a few things.
    First, the top on this guitar is clearly a piece of ply that looks to be about .08" (2mm) with 3 plies. The body is basswood. Is the ply on the top basswood as well, and chosen for the figuring (it is quite nice)? Just wondering.
    Also, there is a lot of glue around the binding. I know the brush and acetone thing. Will NAPTHA work for that, in place of the acetone? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Forgot a photo.....

Knowing which kit would help!

The bigger hollow-bodied kits like the GR1-SF use basswood ply, with a nice figured basswood ply on the top.

This appears to be a semi-hollow guitar, so I'm assuming its the TL1-TB you've mentioned. https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...ic-guitar-kit/

No mention of a veneer in the description, so yes, I'd go with a basswood ply top. It's still veneer thin, so no over-sanding!

The kit photo shows a bound f-hole, and yours looks unbound, which is more Fender-like and less glue to worry about.

Naptha is a fairly mild solvent, good for cleaning sticky stuff off paintwork and plastics, but it doesn't have the power required to remove dried wood glue.

I'd check the pot resistance values, normally A250 or A500/B250 or B500 printed on one side of the connection tabs base. You've got humbuckers, so 500k pots would be the norm, but the may have just supplied a standard Tele control plate with 250k pots, which will make the humbuckers sound a bit less clear than they should.

It is a TL1-TB. I'll look at the pots later this morning.

I don't see any value rating on these. I even used the reflection on the control plate to see if it was printed on the garolite, but no.

It's probably on the underside of that brown circuit-board material, right next to the pot body. You may have to take the pots off to check.

Yup. Both are 500k. Suhweet! Gonna leave it the way it is for now.