Thread: Jazz bass Mod becomes Build?

Jazz bass Mod becomes Build?

Some years ago I got an SX Jazz bass for about $100 as a backup and a platform for experimenting with mods. Over time I replaced the pickups and electronics twice, cleaned up the fret ends, gave it a bone nut and proper setup. It's got a new tone control plate and pick guard, Schaller strap locks and Gotoh GB640 Res-o-lite tuners. It sounds and plays pretty well, although it may still need some fret leveling...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211201_125329_copy_1464x4313.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	45116

...But I'd really like it to be lighter..So I got it a paulownia body. Also got is a Sung-Il locking bridge.

It occurred to me that when I put it back together the only parts that will be OEM are the neck, neck-plate and string tree.... Which I think means it will no longer be a modded SX bass, but has become a build with some a few SX parts. That made me think about when the build began? I have had the new body for a while, but only recently started work on it. The pickups are a PJ combo (EMG Geezer Butlers), so I routed the neck pickup cavity to accommodate a split Precision pickup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20240409212602.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	45117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20240409212653.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	45118

I'll add the Sung-Il bridge as well. At the moment I am planning to use the SX neck... But I have also asked Tim about whether he can get a Jazz Bass profile neck for me. Adam got me one that has become my favorite neck...that might be ideal if they are still available. In any case, will keep a diary of the build here ;-)

The paulownia body has quite a lot of character! I never realized it could have that much pattern. For my axe bass the paulownia had no pattern at all.

How heavy is the SX jazz at the moment?
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

The bass now weighs about 4.5 kg (9.8 lbs). Not all that different than my G&L ASAT bass (similar looking to one of your Tele bass builds). By contrast, my semi hollows weigh around 7.6 and 6.9 lbs...and my paulownia Precicision is under 6.3 lbs. I am pretty sure that I'll play the Jazz more if I can get some weight off. As is, both the ASAT and the Jazz make my back twinge if I play them very long.

On the character of the wood, the three bodies I have are pretty well figured. Just dumb luck. I ordered them without seeing them. I also have the remains of a bunch of 1/4" thick small boards that my kids broke in Tai Kwon Do, and I have experimented a little with a finish. Will post later. I am not great at transparent finishes, but it seems a shame to use a solid color on nicely figured wood...unless I screw up a transparent finish first ;-)
    Last edited by fender3x; Today at 01:12 AM.