Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: TD's Scratchy Thinline

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Nice!

Now, why not have a go at building your own neck for one?
    Thanks Simon.

Yes, making my own neck is on my list of things I need to try. I'm not sure I'm there yet though.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

I think you just have to be prepared to go for it and something to go wrong. If it does, you'll learn from it. If it doesn't, then you've built your first neck and can go forwards with confidence.

I agree. It's the hardest part of the build but the most satisfying. I've done four so far - three have been ok and one failure (stupid calculations on my part).

Definitely go for it, I like doing the necks the most. Each one is slightly better than the last (apart from the failure!)

Thanks Simon and Stuart D.
    Yes I will definitely give it a go down the track. I am a little put off with having to source neck timber, fretboard timber, truss rod and fret wire and a few new tools to get it all to happen - especially when I can get a neck for $65.

I'm concentrating on the finishes at the moment as I'm still not completely happy with my results - and contemplating moving to spraying.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

'm concentrating on the finishes at the moment as I'm still not completely happy with my results - and contemplating moving to spraying.
    I say just do it. Yes, it a whole other learning curve but you'll be glad you made the leap once you do.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Hope it plays and sounds as good as it looks. Nice work 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Davies View Post
    Thanks Simon.

Yes, making my own neck is on my list of things I need to try. I'm not sure I'm there yet though.
    Perfect time to try, the last thing you want is to be burdened by experience!

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I say just do it. Yes, it a whole other learning curve but you'll be glad you made the leap once you do.
    So I purchased a Star S-106T general purpose gun. Now trying to get a medium sized compressor - I think that will need to be my Christmas gift!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Hope it plays and sounds as good as it looks. Nice work 👍
    Thanks Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
    Perfect time to try, the last thing you want is to be burdened by experience!
    True, probably not healthy. And you don't have an excuse when everything goes wrong.

So I purchased a Star S-106T general purpose gun. Now trying to get a medium sized compressor - I think that will need to be my Christmas gift!
    That one of the guns I have, and it's become my #1 for guitar finishing. I know there are more expensive guns out there, but I've had no trouble with mine (other than operator error ) and I doubt my results would be any different with one that cost more.

I'm considering downsizing my compressor, but not sure it will be economically advantageous. I got the one I have for a good price, but it's still more grunt than I really need. It's reasonably quiet for its size too.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Today I have been playing around with some different headstock shapes. I have created MDF templates of my new shapes and also made some bass headstock templates to match. A tele bass is in the pipeline.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1490.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	43453  

11. Liked by: dozymuppet

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast