Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: TD's Scratchy Thinline

With the neck in place, it looks like a very thin thinline body.

Have you got enough depth for pots and selector switches etc?

Hi Simon,
    the selector switch was also my original concern, but it fits with a few mm spare. All good.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Brilliant! That is good news.

I've just upgraded my Squire Mini Strat with new pickups, pots, through-body bridge plus locking tuners, and and fitted an Oak Grigsby 5-way to it, only to find that it was too tall for the thinner body (might be a smaller thinner body but it weighs more than my regular Strat body!) so had to revert back to the shorter original 5-way switch (which is Korean rather than Chinese so isn't too bad a switch).

So I have switch depth on the brain at the moment!

Sounds like you're in a similar place as me re: building, Simon. I'm choosing to tinker and mod some previous builds rather than adding to the herd!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Well, it's been winter here, so no chance to work outside or do spraying. With a house move proposed for sometime after the middle of next year, I doubt if I'll start any new builds this year as I don't have room for more guitars until I do. I've got a couple of projects that I need to get back to; the refinish of the old Peavey 5-string and a Tele for a mate with piezo saddle pickups.

I've been doing a lot of fettling work on a friend's guitars to keep me busy, but there's only one left to do now.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    You can't dig half a hole...

A hole is a hole.
    No-one can dig a hole. You can dig the dirt or whatever material you need to replace with a hole. You just dig, and then you see a hole. Actually, no-one can see a hole since it's a void. Avoid holes, they're dangerous. Where was I? Where am I?!

Peter

I have finally got some more done on my thinline.

I have stained it with FW cedar. Then gave it 2 coats of tru-oil.

I then tried to do a faux binding by routing an edge with a 1/4 inch round over bit, but I did not like it (the ply was not white enough). So I have now stained the rounded over edge. Now waiting on some more tru-oil.

Maybe I need to try some proper binding - but I will need a get a binding router bit to give it a go. I cannot seem to find one locally!

Also, has anyone tried pinstripe decals to add a faux binding?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1289.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	43235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1355.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	43236  
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

For decal binding, you’d have to print the decals to match the outline exactly, which wouldn’t be easy. The decal itself would need cutting to follow the outline, leaving a very long and thin decal to slide off the paper and not crease or fold. It could be done, but you’d probably need a few tries to get it right.

Thinline teles have thin binding, not the thicker striped stuff, so you could just mask and spray some white faux binding on.

For decal binding you could look at these possibly

https://www.inlaystickers.com/collections/binding

Binding router sets are pretty expensive and hard to match a rabbeting bit to a bearing. The cheapest setup I've seen is the attached but can't vouch for site but are Amana bits which are pretty good with the 49342 being the most suited.

https://www.toolstoday.com/binding-r...-bit-sets.html
    Tony

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast