Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HB-6S........yup, another build.....

All glued up. Gotta mix a touch of green dye for some touch-ups. Pretty good otherwise. Then scrape the binding. Clearcoat after that. Lets see how it goes. Dorks me out how light this thing is. Lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

So, I'm messing with the bridge, and have a couple questions.

1) Floating Bridge, or no?

2) Did other people slot the pieces of fretwire that carry the strings over the bridge? I see a little (VERY little) plastic mallet to seat the fretwire going on here as well. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220118_142251.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	42372

Quote Originally Posted by Gunut75 View Post
    So, I'm messing with the bridge, and have a couple questions.

1) Floating Bridge, or no?

2) Did other people slot the pieces of fretwire that carry the strings over the bridge? I see a little (VERY little) plastic mallet to seat the fretwire going on here as well. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220118_142251.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	42372
    Yeh, the bridge just sits on the top. In other threads Simon Bardon had suggested once intonated , pinning it in place. It's a pain in the arse to intonate. I didn't slot the saddles, but I did find I had to move the saddle for the E string forward a slot and have the whole bridge angled slightly to get intonation right. Your mileage may vary I suspect.

You can also use double sided tape to hold the bridge on. You just want something to either keep the bridge in place when you take all the strings off (sticky tape), or an easy way to replace it in the intonated position. I always recommend tape first until you are happy with the string make, gauge and type, and then think about pinning it.

Don't glue it on as you won't be able to adjust the intonation if you change anything about the strings. You can reseat the saddles in their slots, but its not as good as being able to move the bridge and move the saddles if necessary.

I vaugly remember seeing a youtube video where someone had jack of the bridge on a Hoffner and made a replacement for the upper part that had moving saddles.

I just realized that is an HB-4S........not 6S.

I thought that there might be a floating tune-o-matic for bass like there is for guitars, but I didn't see any on a quick check of ebay. What you might be able to do is adapt the bridge's base plate to a tune-o-matic top?

All the 4-string TOMs I’ve seen have the large post holes in the bridge. You’ll need one with the thin Gibson screw posts of the type that are fixed in the guitar (on in this case, in the base of the floating bridge). It’s the rotating ring alone that adjust the bridge height. That’s what the kit bridge has Just not enough depth in the base to adapt it for a fully rotating bridge post.

That, and the outer saddles are 2.25" apart. Too wide for the Hof......

Scraping binding......slooowwwly.....

Don't know if this link will work, but this was the vid I was thinking about , by Fanblade Instraments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbcGcPWlQXI

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast