Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Build GS-7Z I think

First Build GS-7Z I think

Hi, I really wanted a diy guitar kit for Christmas, after all the ones I was really keen on were back ordered. I found this. A baritone 7 string and thought if I’m going to be doing something out of my comfort Zone I might as well make it completely out of my comfort zone.
    I’m primarily a bassist who wants to learn guitar. I figured the 27” scale is close to my short scale Squier so might feel natural.

Anyway, I started work on it Christmas Day and have been trying to do a little bit each day. Here’s some
    Progress shots.

I modelled the finish slightly after an old Ibanez bass I used to have that was a mahogany type on the back and dark front with the grain feeling through the finish.

I got a couple Feast Watson proof tints. Black and Jarrah and used the leftover Benchtop Clear we had from making our dining room table. I know none of those are the typical and conventional finishes used but I believe it’s turned out pretty nice so far considering it’s my first crack at this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finish on the back

Finish in the front, I really wanted to go for a light grey with the grain showing. But the mix I made was way too dark so I sanded it back and it left this really cool blacked grain almost burst like.

Now I’ve glued the neck and left it clamped for a day, I’m starting on the hardware. Had to drill a bridge ground. Going from the control cavity to the rear post as I had already knocked the front ones in when I realised it didn’t have a hole for the bridge wire.

The fret work is going to be done later, I’m not super confident doing it and would like to get a proper file as I don’t trust myself haha

You've done a great job, it looks great!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

To add to the missing ground wire hole, none of the wiring diagrams are clear which wires from the pickups should go where. For me anyway. None of them that say 2 humbuckers, 2 pots and 3 way switch show where the 5 wires from each pickup need to go.

Perhaps something that needs to be updated?

Hi Blocka,
    the
    Black is the hot wire,
    Green (and bare (Shielding) wire) are the grounds.

also (the red and white (pre-soldered) join the coils - but do not need to be added to the circuit - they just need to be insulated (taped) so that they do not make contact with anything in the control cavity).

It is typical that the actual pup wire colours do not match the colours in the wiring diagrams. A bit annoying.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

8. Liked by: Blocka

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Davies View Post
    Hi Blocka,
    the
    Black is the hot wire,
    Green (and bare (Shielding) wire) are the grounds.

also (the red and white (pre-soldered) join the coils - but do not need to be added to the circuit - they just need to be insulated (taped) so that they do not make contact with anything in the control cavity).

It is typical that the actual pup wire colours do not match the colours in the wiring diagrams. A bit annoying.
    Thanks for all your help appreciate it
    So the hot and grounds is there a specific spot for each of them to attach to the volume/switch?

BTW - the body and top are looking good.

I've used FW stains on most of my builds and I'm very happy with the results. I normally use tru-oil for the top coats - but have used the FW wipe on poly. As long as it works and your happy with the end result it is all good.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

The wiring diagram shows both the pup grounds going to the back of the volume pot. Literally soldered to the back.

The two hot wires go to the outside lugs of the switch.

The kit should have enough other wires to create the rest of the circuit.

Have you soldered before? If not it is a bit tricky to start with.

12. Liked by: Blocka

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast