Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ib-6s

Ib-6s

So, I got this one a couple weeks ago. Did a quick mock on it. Everything lines up nicely.
    Just did a light "pickled oak" stain on the spalted faces of the body and headstock. The body is beautiful, but the headstock is absolutely gorgeous.
    Going with a natural binding (on the body and headstock). It is masked off in the pics, but hard to see. I'll be opening a can of "vintage burgundy" stain tomorrow to see how burgundy it really is. I do want a deep red on the back.
    On the back of the neck, it's going to get the deep red on the back of the headstock, and where the neck bolts to the body. It has two stripes in it that would be a shame not to show off, so the burgundy stain will fade out for the back of the fretboard. Maybe a blend to the pickled oak color at the nut and heel.
    Gloss on the whole thing, except the back of the neck. That will be finely cut to a satin finish, and totally smoothed out.
    Wiring is going to be stock. V/V/B/M/T. Options for upgrades in the future are always accessible.
    Beer-thirty here. Happy Friday!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

That's a fantastic looking kit - gotta be happy with that
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

MMMMM...Tasty low end goodness. Great job so far!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Couple of changes with the stain colors. This is how the body turned out. Natural binding. Black stain on the back. I didn't get a whole lot of bleed with the lines. There's a little bit here and there, but not enough to sway me. Going to be MY bass anyhow. Neck is still going to show off the wood stripes. I'll work with that tomorrow morning. Cheers!

Looking good.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Got some more black stain to put on, but the lines for the natural binding came out REALLY good. Debating on darkening that binding line a bit. Maybe a very light brown so it still stands out.
    Not sure if the fade from the back of the headstock to the back of the fretboard was a good idea. Should have made a clean line, but I'm committed now. It's not too bad, but I'm very picky......so.....

Time for some clearcoat on this mamma-jamma! Coloring is done. Time to make it shiny.

This is getting wipe-on poly. The amber hue took care of darkening the natural binding stripe. The headstock is getting cleared as well. Back of the neck will be bare. It's already coated with something. Doesn't take dye or stain well at all, so I'll leave it alone.

I'll drill the holes tomorrow. Here's the neck clamped in place, and a few other projects. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220129_231717.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	42482

Gotta love projects

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast