Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2 tone sunburst on a TL-A kit? How do you do this at home?

2 tone sunburst on a TL-A kit? How do you do this at home?

Hi folks

My father in law has always wanted a Tele so I bought a kit but he wants a 2 tone sunburst.
    I have no idea how to do this at home. Is rub on oil or a rattle can job?

Cheers for your advise here guys

Tim

A DIY burst can be achieved using just stains/dyes, or aerosol opaque lacquers or even both (stain/dye in the middle to show the grain, and a black or darker aerosol on the edge for the burst. I guess some of it depends on what the "guitar in your head" looks like.

In full disclosure, I have not done a burst on a guitar yet. I haven't gone beyond spraying on scrap wood to experiment with my technique. I have done a few bursts on DIY pedals with rattle cans though.

If you give the group more of an idea of your potential plan, there are lots here with plenty of experience that can help!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Hi Tim,

Exactly what McCreed says.

I chose a 3-tone burst with dyes because I didn't like the way the black lays on the other finish, and because I did not have a great experience with rattle can spraying (drops suddenly falling on your work). This is the finish I got: https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ight=rocknrolf.

For this, I ordered the concentrated dyes from Crimson: Crimson red, black, brown and yellow.
    If you practise and watch some video's (particularly PRS dyes) you can get some great results!

And again what McCreed says:
    If you give the group more of an idea of your potential plan, there are lots here with plenty of experience that can help!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tele.PNG 
Views:	107 
Size:	700.2 KB 
ID:	42271
    Here is a photo of a replica that he has sitting on his desk guys. Many thanks already

Wow! Apart from being a lefty, there's a striking similarity between RocknRolf's and the desk-sized one!

As for videos, there's an American guy that does a number of stain bursts on YT. I think he is Big D Guitars or something like that.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I'd go with a stained body and then a sprayed burst. It isn't hard to do with a rattle can, and it's a lot easier to get a nice gradual feathering from dark to light with a spray. Whilst it is possible (as RocknRolf shows) to get a good gradual blend using stain, it tales practice to do so, and at least 90% of the one's I've seen on here have ended up with a definite line between the two (or three) colours.

But it all comes down to what you feel happiest doing.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Wow! Apart from being a lefty, there's a striking similarity between RocknRolf's and the desk-sized one!

As for videos, there's an American guy that does a number of stain bursts on YT. I think he is Big D Guitars or something like that.
    It does ay! This one has a sprayed black, perhaps even red underneath the black burst, I think.

Regarding the smooth transitions Simon is talking about, I used a damp clean rag to feather from light to dark. I did practice on about 10 pieces of headstock veneer before I was happy with my technique and colours. Those pcs of veneer can be bought on ebay or alie for under 10$ for a 5 pack I think. To me more than worth it when you want to nail a look.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I think i might do the stained body and burst by hand as i never have any luck with rattle cans.
    Does Dingotone do sunburst colours? Is there some place to contact Dingotone?

I wouldn't use Dingotone at all. It is a most unpredictable product, and even when it does dry hard to begin with (it often just remains tacky) after a few years it often breaks down and goes soft in places. Some people are just starting to experience this with builds they did a few years ago when it was a new product.

If you don't want to use a rattle can, then a rubbed stain sunburst is really the only option. It is not easy to do well, and very easy to end up with a solid edge rather than a gradual burst, so I'd suggest lots of practice on scrap wood first. There are loads of videos of people doing these on YouTube, some good, some bad.

Skip to the end of any videos you find to see what the end result looks like before watching their method. O point wasting time if the end result isn't good!

This is a pretty good rubbed burst example, but note that it is a burst over a quite wide area, and not a traditional thin edge burst as Fender typically use. That is much easier to achieve by spraying than by rubbing.

As I said, I can recommend Crimson stains: https://www.crimsonguitars.com/produ...32379131887751

Both as product and for international shipping, i believe 5.95 GBP = +/-12AUD.

Someone on this forum recommended these: https://tlcguitargoods.com/en/finish...tains.html?p=2

but shipping came in at 25euro's / =/-37AUD, I'll stick with crimson.

Again, just take some scrap wood and practise a fair bit, and I'm sure you can get to a finish you love.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast