Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Sort of accidentally started a new build...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Is the idea to get the holes sitting in the middle of the slots, or won’t the nut screw down far enough into the tuner body because it’s run out of thread? If the latter, can’t you cut the screwed end of the nut down a bit so it will screw in?
    That's a good question and proposition Simon.
    I have had to do that with a few non-Fender necks due to the headstock being slightly thinner. I found using a dremel with a cut-off wheel the easiest and cleanest method.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

That is the challenge, and I don't think I have anything sufficiently precise to cut down the sleeves. I could use a hacksaw but the nut shape makes them really difficult to try and hold securely in a vice.
    I have a Dremel-alike thing but it is spectacularly useless at cutting any kind of metal. It's great at destroying cutting discs though.

Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
    That is the challenge, and I don't think I have anything sufficiently precise to cut down the sleeves. I could use a hacksaw but the nut shape makes them really difficult to try and hold securely in a vice.
    I have a Dremel-alike thing but it is spectacularly useless at cutting any kind of metal. It's great at destroying cutting discs though.
    That may have less to do with the tool and more to do with the discs you are using......

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    That may have less to do with the tool and more to do with the discs you are using......
    I'll second that.

As for holding the threaded sleeve, I made small clamping blocks out of pine to hold the sleeve in just a hobby vice.
    Clamp the two blocks together, then drill a hole just smaller than the sleeve diameter centred right on the where the two blocks meet (like two halves of a mould).

This will hold the sleeve in a secure horizontal position without risk of squashing it out of round. You can make indentations in the blocks where the "nut" portion will sit, but I found the pine was soft enough to indent from the clamping pressure and not compress the nut.

I'm sure there is a proper name for this kind of "device" but I don't know what it is...
    Last edited by McCreed; 07-02-2022 at 05:19 AM.

If you don’t mind sacrificing them, you could get 6 longish bolts the size of the tuner post, pass the nuts onto the bolt shaft, do up a nut (or two to lock them) so the tuner nut is held tight between the bolt head and the nuts, and cut through the lot at the appropriate point. At some point it’s probably going to go all loose, but you’ll have cut most of the way through and the rest should be easy*.

*For a given value of easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    A bodge?
    Nuh... Bodge-O-Matic!!!

Or I could just stick some veneer on the side of the headstock...

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Any recommendations greatly received (if not for this project then for a future one).

Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
    Any recommendations greatly received (if not for this project then for a future one).
    DREMEL Reinforced Cutting Wheel

If you're using the brownish red wheels, they're mostly rubbish for metal. They'll work but wear down very quickly (as well as explode).
    The ones linked are fibreglass reinforced.

It's also worth (IMO) investing in the EZ-Lock Mandrel and using the EZ-Lock wheels as well.

EZ-Lock

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast