Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sort of accidentally started a new build...

Thanks Dikkybee, good advice there.

@DarkMark - something like that, except my hair is on the bottom of my head and I can't remember when I last put on a suit...

I was going to offer you the neck from a Simon and Patrick SP6 that has a top that is well and truly trashed (donated to me by a friend but it's too complicated and costly to be worth repairing), as it might work better with steel strings and is a bit narrower. But it's got a heel-end truss rod that comes right up to the end of the fingerboard, which would really mess up the design as it would have to sit really high over the rim in order to access the truss rod. And to cut away the wood around it to shorten the fretboard to ease fitting wouldn't give enough strength to keep the trussrod secure.

But you can have it if you want it.

Thank you Simon, that's very kind (especially given your known feelings about members of the banjo family!). I think I'll pass though given the potential headaches you've already identified.

The banjo isn’t my favourite instrument but it has its place and I am mainly joshing. The piano-accordion and bagpipes however…

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    The banjo isn’t my favourite instrument but it has its place and I am mainly joshing. The piano-accordion and bagpipes however…
    Careful Simon , you inner snob is showing :P

Piano accordion... Weird Al, a fine musician had brought that instrument to the pinnacle of class and sophistication! As for the bagpipes... you're preaching large Aust audience... that's shaky ground you're standing on. After all, it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll ...

I'd like to see a banjo bass build.....

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I’d be looking at a circular table saw, and would just hold the drum against the fence, push it forwards and cut. Then rotate the drum a bit and repeat until it’s in two parts. That should get you a pretty level edge that just needs some minor tidying up.
    That's kind of what I was thinking as well.
    What Did You Play Today? ~PJS~

Build #1) KH-1 - November 2019 GOTM

Cut down the drum, marked up the beginnings of the centre block, tidied up the neck a bit (including removing the end of the fretboard so that it will nestle up against the drum rim to avoid needing a stratospherically high bridge.

Work is being slowed a bit because I'm still struggling with a sprained thumb.

8. Liked by: dave.king1

Today has been all about the centre block, but I have made some significant progress with one of the most awkward bits of the job:

10. Liked by: dave.king1

Something about Volvo’s and experimental banjo guitars just don’t go together.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast