Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sort of accidentally started a new build...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    The Guano has been decided on as the most appropriate name at the Sound on Sound forum.
    I am bat-sh*t crazy over that name.

I'll be interested to see how you go about cutting down the drum shell, Drew. I have an old Tama drum set I've been considering cutting down to be similar to a Traps kit.
    What Did You Play Today? ~PJS~

Build #1) KH-1 - November 2019 GOTM

I think much patience with the marking out will be first step, then finding a way to effectively clamp it will be the next challenge.

4. Liked by: dave.king1

I’d be looking at a circular table saw, and would just hold the drum against the fence, push it forwards and cut. Then rotate the drum a bit and repeat until it’s in two parts. That should get you a pretty level edge that just needs some minor tidying up.

7. Liked by: PJSprog

That would be a good idea if I owned a circular table saw. Careful use of a handsaw is a more likely candidate once it has been suitably braced in a vice.

If it was me I would cut a block of wood and use it with a pencil/pen to mark a line around the outside parallel to the end face. You can also use a piece of 2" emery cloth wrapped around the outside to give you a straight line but not everyone has that lying around. Then cut a piece of wood that almost goes across the full width of the inside and use 2 wedges to clamp from the inside just to brace it so it doesn't bounce while cutting. Sit it on a flat surface on its side with something soft so it wont roll easy, like some sponge rubber or a home made vee block. Take a hacksaw with a 24 TPI blade or maybe an 18 TPI and start to cut on the line. Cut until the blade just breaks through and then rotate it away from you so you are cutting on the side of the cut closest to you and keep doing that until you are all the way around. Just make small cuts of maybe 5-10mm deep and rotate and reposition the inside brace to where you are cutting. Maybe if you are cutting close enough to the end you may not need an internal brace as the hacksaw wont put much pressure on the outside. The reason I would use a hacksaw is the sides are not that thick and the finer the blade the more teeth that are cutting and will reduce the chance of chatter and the blade bouncing and make it easier to cut. It should keep the line straight and reasonably parallel to the end and then just stick some sand paper onto a flat surface and sand the end flat. Have had a little experience in cutting thin walled articles and the finer blade with make it easier and do less damage. Just a thought as how I would attempt the task and I would use hand tools before any power tool unless you want to have a second drum and its less likely to open a vein.
    Builds :
    # 1 - Non PBG ES-335
    # 2 - Non PBG Tele Thin line
    # 3 - Non PBG LP
    # 4 - Non PBG SG
    # 5 - RC-1
    # 6 - TL-1
    # 7 - ST-1 Custom
    # 8 - SGB-30 + Non PBG SG
    # 9 - Custom JRM-1DC 12 String
    #10 - Custom ST-1 with P90's
    #11 - Custom TL-1 with 27" Bari Neck
    #12 - Custom JZ-6 Jazzmaster
    #13 - AG-1 Factory Second
    #14 - Custom JZ-6 Bass vi
    #15 - EX-1R Factory Second
    #16 - AGM-1
    #17 - EXA-7

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Then just go for it with an angle grinder.
    Surely he needs to be set on the porch in a rocker whittlin' it down to size? For the authenticity of the thing.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

11. Liked by: PJSprog

Freakin cool. Is it going to look something like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNG image.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	310.6 KB 
ID:	42218  

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Surely he needs to be set on the porch in a rocker whittlin' it down to size? For the authenticity of the thing.

Wise words indeed.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast