Thread: set neck possible problem help please

set neck possible problem help please

hi all im very new here and through building my first guitar ive now realised my lp kit is a set neck but i have already stained parts of the neck where the glue join will go. have i completely stuffed it or will id be ok and do i need to remove the stain all help welcome thank you?

Stain on its own is OK. It’s finishes like poly, nitro and Tru-Oil that stop wood glue like Titebond or PVA from adhering to the cellulose in the wood, which gives the strongest bond.

You’d generally carry some stain over the edges into the neck contact areas to ensure you didn’t get gaps in the colour around the joins, but keep the rest of the joint clear. But this would mainly be because you’ve put masking tape over the join areas to protect them.

If you’ve applied finish as well, then it really needs to be sanded ir stripped right off.

Mask off the finish that needs to remain around the join, and I’d suggest scraping it off with a sharp blade is the best method. I’d use a single-sided razorblade. This will work better if you scrape one side of the edge at 90° along a piece of rough steel or iron to create a burr. Or if you’ve already got woodworking scrapers, then use those.

The neck joint is one area where it really is best to use a glue that can be taken apart using heat or steam if the neck angle is wrong and it needs to be adjusted. If you have got finish all over the join area and you can’t get much off, then you could use a different glue, such as epoxy, after thoroughly roughing up the finish with coarse sandpaper to allow the glue to key to it. But you’d first need to double check the neck angle will correct when it’s fitted, so that the bridge and pickups don’t sit too high or the bridge can’t be lowered enough for a good action.

I was just reading the bottle of stain its a solvent so I should be ok then I think thank you for the reply

It's probably spirit/alcohol based. Once that's evaporated away leaving just the stain pigment behind, you'll be fine.

Awesome thank you Simon