Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tele Bridges

Tele Bridges

Hi guys,

Next kit is going to be a TLA-1 Ash body. I've built one other tele style with a Bigsby but not a hardtail.
    Is the bridge plate ok to use or am I better upgrading to something else? Another question, what other saddles have you upgraded to so the intonation can be set using a 3 saddle bridge?

Thanks guys..

One question is whether you either want a top-loading bridge, or else whether you want to drill holes through the body, fit rear ferrules and have traditional through-strung set-up. The standard kit bridges are top-loading types, which are supposed to have a slightly janglier sound then the rear-loading bridges.

Traditional ashtray bridge styles have a different footprint to the flat-plate style bridges (and those can differ a bit as well in screw placement and through-hole locations), though the pickup rout should be in the same location for both styles. You may have to do a bit of pickup cavity enlargement if you fit an aftermarket pickup, though you may have to do that anyway as the bridge pickup routing is a bit smaller than it could be on the TL and could benefit from being a mm or so further forwards towards the neck. This also helps the saddles not having to be right forwards at the very end of the adjustment screws.

But sorting the rout is nothing a Dremel drum sanding attachment won't cure in a minute or two.

Personally I'm a sucker for traditional 3-saddle bridges, though the saddle material will make a much bigger difference to the sound than whether you've got three or six saddles. I've played USA six-saddle Teles, and I much prefer the three saddle guitars.

I've got two Teles with ashtray bridges, flat barrel saddles, and one with Wilkinson brass compensated saddles. Somehow all three intonate acceptably. Maybe a couple of strings are just out, but not a long way out. Obviously six-saddle bridges you can intonate exactly.

Obviously string gauge will gave an effect on pre-compensated saddles, as what will be right for one gauge + make of strings won't be quite right for a different gauge + make. I use D'Addario 10s and they seem to work OK. Action height will also have an effect on the required intonation positions, but it's hard to say exactly by how much.

Here's a case of a near opposite point of view... (neither being right of wrong, just different)

I am less the traditionalist and prefer 6-saddle tele bridges. All 3 of my teles have 6-saddle, but 2 are string-through and 1 is top-load.
    However, when I have had 3-saddle bridges, I prefer compensated. I have only used brass compensated (and traditional for that matter) but the material is a personal preference and what kind of tone you're seeking.

Somewhere I have seen a well done video demoing the various tele saddle materials and their effect on the sound (it actually might have been posted by Mr. Barden - ????) I'll see if I can find it and add it here.

As for the string-through vs top-load, I can't speak to the difference in tone because each of my teles is a different body wood and fretboard wood. They each have different tonal characteristics but I attribute this to factors other than bridge type (they all have the same pickups atm).
    That said, I do notice a difference in the feel of the strings between string-through and top-load, with the latter feeling more "springy" FLOABW. Maybe it's just psychological, but I think it's real

edit:
    Found the video! Comparison between brass, steel, graphtech and aluminium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOSVu-NeAQ
    NOTE: all compensated saddles, but shouldn't effect tone IMO.
    Last edited by McCreed; 18-12-2021 at 06:39 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Okay... 'notha video...

This time about string-through vs top-load. There are numerous ones on YT on the subject, but I immediately went to Jay Leonard J, because he's an absolute monster! (and he seems pretty humble)

Also he affirmed my "springy" theory! And gives a good explanation on why it's so. Which I knew but forgot I knew it

Tele String-through vs Top-load
    Last edited by McCreed; 18-12-2021 at 07:03 AM.

Thanks as always Simon and McCreed. Haven't been back to my PC for a couple of days. Thanks for the great info! looks like I have a bit of homework to do..

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Okay... 'notha video...

This time about string-through vs top-load. There are numerous ones on YT on the subject, but I immediately went to Jay Leonard J, because he's an absolute monster! (and he seems pretty humble)

Also he affirmed my "springy" theory! And gives a good explanation on why it's so. Which I knew but forgot I knew it

Tele String-through vs Top-load
    That was a very informative video thanks McCreed! I've gone for a 3 saddle bridge knowing if I can't get the intonation it will drive me nuts...but that's how I roll. Definitely going to go with the top loading first.

That was a very informative video thanks McCreed! I've gone for a 3 saddle bridge knowing if I can't get the intonation it will drive me nuts...but that's how I roll. Definitely going to go with the top loading first.
    Ok, since you've decided on the traditional 3 saddle, I'll let you in on a little secret...

READ THIS: "Saddle Up Your Telecaster" by Jerry Donahue

This is good method for intonating a 3 saddle bridge, and it does work. It is worth noting that once in a while you'll get a traditional 3 saddle tele that intonates just fine. So you could get lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Ok, since you've decided on the traditional 3 saddle, I'll let you in on a little secret...

READ THIS: "Saddle Up Your Telecaster" by Jerry Donahue

This is good method for intonating a 3 saddle bridge, and it does work. It is worth noting that once in a while you'll get a traditional 3 saddle tele that intonates just fine. So you could get lucky!
    Thanks again McCreed! Some informative reading there.

Note that not every 3-saddle bridge has a rear-string option as well as standard through-stringing. So don't buy one without checking first it can be rear-strung.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Note that not every 3-saddle bridge has a rear-string option as well as standard through-stringing. So don't buy one without checking first it can be rear-strung.
    Thanks Simon. I did check and ordered this one. It should do the job... https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...e-for-tl-gold/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast