Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gr-1sf

I'd say so. I'd email Pit Bull with the neck joint and headstock pictures and see what they say. Sometimes the factories change the spec of what they send out and PBG don't update the kit photos to suit, but I've seen 2021 GR-1SF builds and they've been as per the photos.

You often get slight gaps right by the end of the pocket, but this is excessive.

Also, the .05" gap goes all the way up the pocket. I CAN SEE THE LIGHT! The neck isn't touching the bottom of the pocket at all.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I bought this kit in July. I'll email them right away.

You do that, though as they generally work part-time, you may not get a reply until after Christmas now, and possibly into the New Year The Christmas holidays are generally longer in Australia (and the UK) than in the US, so 24th to the 28th December are all official holidays, and often people take between Christmas and New Year off as vacation (well it is mid-summer down there) and make use of the public holidays.

Does this kit have a 24.75 fret scale?

Sorry, the first half of this reply was intended for a separate thread by Gunut75 about a chipped headstock:

Personally, I'd send it back, or at least email PBG to come to another arrangement.

Whilst it can be glued, there are drawbacks to doing so. If you're planning to stain, you would need to get a stainable wood glue, not standard Titebond or superglue (there are a number available nowadays) but I suspect the seam would not be completely invisible as the glue is not going to take up the stain the same way timber will despite being "stainable". I guess it depends on what you can live with.

Does this kit have a 24.75 fret scale?
    As for the scale length, I didn't see in the PBG description but by tradition it should be 24.75". You can verify by measuring (preferably with a long steel rule) from the fretboard side of the nut, to the centre of the 12th fret. It will be half the scale length (314mm if 24-3/4").
    Last edited by McCreed; 25-12-2021 at 08:50 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Gretsch scale length is normally one of two scale lengths. 25.5” for the large bodied (17” wide) models like the Falcon. The others have a 24.6” scale. As McCreed says, the kit page doesn’t state the kit’s scale length, but I expect it should be either one of the normal 24.75” or 25.5” scales the kits come in. I doubt it will be 24.6” if it’s based on a smaller Gretsch.

As McCreed says, measure from the nut to the middle of the 12th fret to check the neck’s scale length. With the neck in place, you should measure double that length (maybe a couple of mm longer) to the high E bridge position. If so, at least the neck is the right scale length for the body. (The ES-3 neck has a 24.75” scale). If there’s a mismatch, then the bridge position will be about 10mm further away from the nut than it should.

Interesting reading, I am very tempted to get one of these kits but these issues are a bit off putting

Got everything worked out. Going to get creative to make this neck work. Scale length is 24.75. Time to test some shims to build up the bottom of the neck pocket. This will give me a solid assessment of the neck height and angle.

So, I need to build up about .05-.07" in the bottom of the neck pocket. I'll experiment with shims to get the neck angle correct. Do I glue the shim into the bottom of the neck pocket, let it dry, then set the neck? Or, glue the whole thing at once?
    Also, the bottom of the neck pocket is almost the texture of carpet. (See previous photos) It's THAT rough. Should I rebuild this to somewhat flat before gluing the shim in? If so, with what? If not, there's gonna be a lot of glue in there to fill the voids below the shim.
    I'll make this neck work one way or another. The scale length is good to the bridge. Going to have to redo the bottom of the pocket for a secure glue joint, and where the neck meets the body for cosmetic reasons. Gotta cut the headstock too. Some extra work involved, but that's what this is all about....... cheers.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast