Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Gr-1sf

Makes a great base color for a very purple burgundy color. I just can't do a pink guitar. It was done with black, oil based stain over the pink. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220123_091527.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	42404

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Possibly an artefact of the surface reflecting a lot of white light back. I’m sure it will look a lot redder with a finish on it. But maybe not quite the red you wanted. Try another application of the stain?

Edit: I see I missed an over the page post.

That looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunut75 View Post
    Uh-oh! It dried to pink! Not regular pink, but HOT pink!
    I had that problem with my 66 build. I was using Fiebings leather dye and the don't seem to do a decent red red, they all seem to tend to a bluish cast for something I would call nearer pink or mauve. I forget what I ended up using, but it was a UK manufacturer.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Waiting for the black to dry so I can sand it smooth. Might get another coat of black after sanding. Well see how it turns out. Kind of a dark plum purple stain with mild pink grain highlights. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220123_095605.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	42405

I like it. It sanded out nice and smooth with no loss of color. Time to scrape all the tiny bindings on the f-holes, then start on the neck joint and cut the headstock (On a gr-1sf?!........ yes, this one anyway...).
    The heel of the neck needs some contouring. The radius (contour) from the neck joint to the neck is a bunch of sanded flats. I'll straighten that out too. Yaaaaa hooooo.

S$/t!!! Going to try to tap it down with a mallet, but it's awful high. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220128_192151.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	42465

jack new to this

hi i have a question first time on this forum, i am unclear on the copper shielding instalation for thrGR-1ST is there some where to check this out?

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    hi i have a question first time on this forum, i am unclear on the copper shielding instalation for thrGR-1ST is there some where to check this out?
    Hi

It's pointless even trying. You've got no ability to stick it all over the interior of the body; and unless it goes all over, it simply won't work.

I don't know what wire comes as standard with the kit, but I'm assuming it's just the normal single core wire. The best you can do is replace that wire with either braided screen wire or screened single core wire for the long wiring runs to reduce noise pickup. The pickups are humbuckers, so noise pickup is pretty minimal to start with, and it's those long single wire runs that are most likely to pick up any noise if there is noise to pick up.

If you are building a kit, best to start your own build diary so we can see and answer questions all in one location. even if you only ask a couple of questions. We'll try and help you the best we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunut75 View Post
    S$/t!!! Going to try to tap it down with a mallet, but it's awful high.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220128_192151.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	42465
    Maybe best to just file it down and then reprofile and polish it, I doubt it will get a lot of use up there and it doesn't matter if the last fret is slightly lower than the rest as there are no other frets for the string to catch on.

thanks i will be starting a diary

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5