Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do I have to file the nut

@Simon. Agree completely. This is the reason we didn't mind just filing it down a bit. We weren't out much other than a small amount of time.

Bone for tone, as the saying goes. It doesn't look like PB stocks seven string nuts...but it shouldn't be too hard to get. If you're in AUS you might ask Adam if he can send you a bone nut for a seven string. I don't know if he can do that anymore, but at one time they had a guy making them in-house.

They are also not hard to make, if you don't mind doing a lot of sanding. For $10 you can get six or more blanks.

You can cut a bone or tusq nut with the feeler gauge "saw" ...but you will definitely notice how much longer it takes on the harder material ;-)

I'm not in AUS, I'm in the US. Was looking at the PB nuts, but also noticed that they didn't stock the 7 string nuts or offer them for sale. Guess I'll just have to measure the one that I have.

There are some cheap bone nuts on eBay, around $7. Even a tusq nut is only around $15. You may be able to find an unslotted blank the right size.

Last option, you could just make one from a blank. I see you can get blanks 6/$10 on Amazon. If you live near Miami, I'll give you one from my "lifetime supply." (I bought 6 once. I have 5 left). They aren't hard to shape. Just time consuming. Not too bad on a G style nut, like yours though. If you do decide to shape your own nut, you may want to keep the plastic nut for marking where the slots go. There are other ways to know where to mark the slots, but I think using a nut that came of the same guitar is the easiest.

I'm pretty sure if I have to replace the nut, this is the one that I need. I believe the original nut from the exa7 kit is a 48mm x 6mm.
    https://graphtech.com/products/black...str-nut-48-x-6

Quote Originally Posted by patrickparks1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure if I have to replace the nut, this is the one that I need. I believe the original nut from the exa7 kit is a 48mm x 6mm.
    https://graphtech.com/products/black...str-nut-48-x-6
    The one in the link should be fine. Usually a replacement nut would be slightly oversized so that you can sand it to be flush on the sides. Probably best to wait to finish the neck until you get the nut so that you can make everything flush before applying finish.

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

Yeah, i'm not planning on geting a new nut unless I find out that i truly mangled the other one. If the original one works, I'll use it until i have a problem.

I appreciate all of the input.

The only difference I can think of between replacing now and replacing later, is that if you replace now, you can do the final sanding of the sides of the nut flush with the wood with the nut in place without damaging the finish. It's not a big deal either way, but FWIW ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2