Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Removed Dingotone finish - like result - any advice on leaving without new finish.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    From what is obviously my tenuous understanding of this, it is the percentage of water content that makes the difference.
    This is why shellac flake that has been improperly stored and subjected to moisture, will have difficulty fully dissolving.
    Ah, in that case yeh, the industrial stuff would have less water. The alternative is 100% Isopropanol. Fairly easy to get, it's used for cleaning, amongst other things. Even the industrial metho will have some water... but it's kinda bound to the ethanol.. unless you go through a costly process which would make it un-economical, the ethanol in the used in the industrial stuff will still have some water (rather than 100% ethanol they probably used 96%, so the mix is 95% of 96%)

First I want to apologise to DJP for the major hijack of his thread.

Rabbit, I thought I'd share this link which is on the topic of using Industrial Methylated Spirits (DAA - Denatured Absolute Alcohol) for mixing shellac.

https://restorerschoice.com.au/produ...te-alcohol-daa

Scroll down to the description, and also see the "READ OUR BLOG HERE" link.
    This info (and other similar sites) is what I have based my understanding on. Maybe this is a case of perpetuated misinformation, I don't know.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

First I want to apologise to DJP for the major hijack of his thread.

Rabbit, I thought I'd share this link which is on the topic of using Industrial Methylated Spirits (DAA - Denatured Absolute Alcohol) for mixing shellac.

https://restorerschoice.com.au/produ...te-alcohol-daa

Scroll down to the description, and also see the "READ OUR BLOG HERE" link.
    This info (and other similar sites) is what I have based my understanding on. Maybe this is a case of perpetuated misinformation, I don't know.
    Yeh... we are kinda hijacking the thread, but hidden amongst the comments is usefull information.

OK, the stuff you linked ti does state that it's denatured absolute alcohol. The "Absolute" bit translates to it being pure ethanol with no water. It's been denatured to make it undrinkable. I suspect it is cheaper because being not fit for human consumption it isn't subjected to the many pointless taxes and tarrifs that the good stuff is subjected to. You also don't have to account for every mL you use like you would with lab grade ethanol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Yeh... we are kinda hijacking the thread, but hidden amongst the comments is usefull information.

OK, the stuff you linked ti does state that it's denatured absolute alcohol. The "Absolute" bit translates to it being pure ethanol with no water. It's been denatured to make it undrinkable. I suspect it is cheaper because being not fit for human consumption it isn't subjected to the many pointless taxes and tarrifs that the good stuff is subjected to. You also don't have to account for every mL you use like you would with lab grade ethanol.
    Okay, last metho-related post here (I promise!).
    The first photo I posted, the label does say "DAA 100%..." which I presumed to be Denatured Alcohol, but didn't know about the Absolute part. Hopefully someone else gains something out of this in future!
    Cheers!

All good info ... not a highjack.
    Completed Builds
    #7 FS-1
    #6 FV-1G
    #5 ATL 1SB Thinline
    #4 ST1-Jnr
    # 3 JBA-4
    # 2 LP-1S
    # 1 TLA-1R

Clear "Platinum" Shellac arrived .... time to get busy
    Completed Builds
    #7 FS-1
    #6 FV-1G
    #5 ATL 1SB Thinline
    #4 ST1-Jnr
    # 3 JBA-4
    # 2 LP-1S
    # 1 TLA-1R

I’ve just discovered the need to do a similar renovation on my TLA😵*💫 ….and my EXA…🤬😭. Based on your initial post I am not looking forward to this…..
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I’ve just discovered the need to do a similar renovation on my TLA😵*💫 ….and my EXA…🤬😭. Based on your initial post I am not looking forward to this…..
    Did your DT finish also go sticky, Frankie?

Did your DT finish also go sticky, Frankie?
    Yes, though not in it’s entirety. Spots on the back and the horns went sticky. The neck finish is still solid and smooth but that’s going to come off too so that I can “re-imagine” the whole thing.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I like do-overs!

I've found they serve two purposes, 1) they turn out better because I've learnt more since the initial build, and 2) they keep me from actually adding to the total number of guitars in my possession!

(the available wardrobe space is diminishing).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast