Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: PSH-1 Build

I'd glue the two shims together first, then glue the shim into the pocket, and then glue the neck on.

I wrap cling-film over the wooden blocks I use when clamping, if there's a chance of glue oozing out and sticking the block to the clamped item.

PSH-1 Build

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I'd glue the two shims together first, then glue the shim into the pocket, and then glue the neck on.

I wrap cling-film over the wooden blocks I use when clamping, if there's a chance of glue oozing out and sticking the block to the clamped item.
    Hi Simon, Thanks for the great tip, will do just that!

PSH-1 Build

Hi Guys

After a break, have gotten back into it. I’ve glued the two shims together and have clamped them down.

Also started the process of installing the bone nut. I’ve also removed the nut and it popped out without too much damage

There is still some dried up glue residue on the base, I’ll try to sand it or file it off. Any tips on installing the nut? Just been following some YouTube videos

Also looking at some advice, at the base of my neck pocket with the shim
    In place, there is a bit of a gap. One I’ve glued in the neck with the shim, was thinking of making a mixture of sawdust and the shellac I’ve been using, to use as a wood filler to fill in the gap and then sand to smoothen. Any advice if that’s ok ?

Last edited by vivek_rc; 22-01-2022 at 12:27 PM.

I'd consider staining the shims the same as the back and neck, then drop filling with CA, then continue with more coats of your clear.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Looking good Vivek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I'd consider staining the shims the same as the back and neck, then drop filling with CA, then continue with more coats of your clear.
    thanks Mcreed, I’ve put in an order for some CA glue,

Quote Originally Posted by mrpearson View Post
    Looking good Vivek.

Still a long way to go!

PSH-1 Build

Ah, rookie mistake. I glued the two shims on the wrong side. I’ve had to
    Flip it to fit, now the 1mm shim
    Is on the bottom. However the angle of the neck is still relatively the same, so I think I might just use this, rather than make a new shim. There is a bit more of a gap in the between the neck joint and the shims.

But I’ve to check, but I think my pickups might not fit as the neck heel is higher. Have to test mount them.

Also dry fitted the new nut, it’s shallower than the original

Decided to flip the shim as it was, and sand It down on the side to conform to the pocket. It fits better..

Back again with another update, still very slow…have just glued the shim to the body. Once it’s set, will fit the neck again, sting it up for a check and then glue in the bone nut. Going very slow but it’s ok.. One things I’ve learnt from this build is how to make shims, have now made some diy shims for my telecaster build and a cheap strat, world of difference in terms of playability!

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast