Thread: Thickness of the Pitbull American Ash Bodies

Thickness of the Pitbull American Ash Bodies

Hey All,

Quick question: How thick are the two-piece American Strat bodies sold by Pitbull? Full (1 3/4") or "import" (1 1/2")?

Looking to pair this with a MIM Fender neck that I have sitting here crying out for a build.

Sorry if this is published somewhere, but my google-fu is failing me.

Thanks

Hi Systolsys.

I can't tell you about the ST models but, I my PBG ash TL (from 2018) is a finished thickness of 42mm (1-21/32"). I would speculate that it likely started at around 42mm pre-sanding etc, then ended up back there after applying the poly finish.

I think the main issue you'll encounter trying to fit a Fender MIM neck, will be the neck pocket size. The PBG pockets are bigger than Fender. IIRC, they're a workable depth, but wider and longer. Longer isn't necessarily too bad as long as the scale length works out correctly.

I have not fitted a fender neck on a PBG body myself, but maybe someone else that has first-hand experience will post.
    Last edited by McCreed; 18-11-2021 at 05:16 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post

I think the main issue you'll encounter trying to fit a Fender MIM neck, will be the neck pocket size. The PBG pockets are bigger than Fender. IIRC, they're a workable depth, but wider and longer. Longer isn't necessarily too bad as long as the scale length works out correctly.
    That's good to know. Thanks. The neck pocket is not a show-stopper though as the current plan at least is that this is going to be solid color, so if I end up having to cut and glue some fine shims on the pocket sides, that's well within my somewhat limited wood working skills.

Of course, if they end up sending me an ash body with an incredible grain pattern, I'll rethink that...

My GST-1 had a US-standard thickness body (though they can vary a bit between years but it was basically the same as my Dave Gilmour Strat), but I can't vouch for the neck pocket depth as I didn't ever need to measure it, but visually it looked similar to the US Strat.

But the GST and GSH kits come from a different factory to the ST and STA kits, so I don't know if they are the same thickness or not.

If you really need to know, I'd email Pit Bull direct and ask. They are normally pretty quick at responding. service@pitbullguitars.com

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    If you really need to know, I'd email Pit Bull direct and ask. They are normally pretty quick at responding. service@pitbullguitars.com
    Thanks. Email sent.

I'll drop a note here once I get a response.

Hey did you get any info back info about the thinkness about these strat bodies?