Thread: Tuning pegs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tuning pegs?

Hi guys this is my first bass guitar kit (JB-4M)

I am just trying to install the tuning pegs and i had a question. The metal sleeves that go into the holes in the headstock seem a little lose and i can’t understand how the sleeves don’t fall out of the holes when the tuning pegs are screwed in. The metal sleeves don’t seem to screw in anywhere.

I’m not sure if I’m missing something or being an idiot.

Hi Luke3,
    I have just used the same tuners with my Axe build. They do just push in and rest there.

After adding the top coats to the headstock the sleeves were too large for the holes and I needed to increase the size of the holes by sanding them.

If this does not happen to you, then I think you could add some glue to make sure they cannot fall out. Once the string are all in place I do not think they would be able to move.

Hopefully others will add to my comments.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

3. Liked by: Luke3

As Trevor said, they are intended to be "press fit" (aka friction fit, or interference fit).

As for gluing, if you feel the need to do so, just use a small dab of wood glue (like tite-bond) not CA (super glue). You just need enough to hold it in place and if you need to take them out in the future, they will come out without taking a bunch of wood with it.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

5. Liked by: Luke3

Thanks for the help!

Late to the party...so you have all the help you need already. Just wanted to say that's some nice grain on the headstock.

8. Liked by: Luke3

I wouldn't worry too much until you have done all the finishing you are going to do. A few layers of [your choice of finish] in the holes may be all that's needed to turn loose fit into satisfactory.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

10. Liked by: Luke3