Thread: Hello from the Netherlands

Hello from the Netherlands

Hi there! I'm really excited to take on this building project! I work in national healthcare as an orderly and during the corona-crisis, we health-workers, received a bonus for working during the pandemic. I thought it was a great idea to order myself a nice project an start building a guitar for myself with that money. I started playing the guitar when I was 11 years old, back in the mid 70's. The instrument has never left me. I owned quit a number of guitars int the 45 odd years I've been playing, but never one that I build myself. So, can't hardly wait!
    I once owned a Telecaster, but had to sell it. Mind you this was many moons ago. Never got to buy me one later on. I've been playing many styles and own guitars accordingly. My main instruments are my (hand-build by a friend) classical nylon stringed guitar, my 6 string steelstring and my main electric guitar (a '67 Gretsch Country Gentleman). I play my classical guitar in a big tango orchestra, my steelstring and electric in two coverbands (Classic Soul and a Beatles cover band). Will be visiting this forum I expect. Cheers!

Hi and welcome.

A big thank-you for all your effort in the Covid crisis. I've got several friends who are doctors or nurses and I know how hard they've worked and the risks they've taken.

I was in a 12-piece classic soul /R'n'B band for 13 years, it was great fun.

I take it you've ordered a Tele kit? They are fairly straightforward to assemble. Most of the work goes to getting the finish right but there are a few things like bridge positioning that you need some care over.

It would be nice if you have enough time to start a build diary, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Hi and welcome.

A big thank-you for all your effort in the Covid crisis. I've got several friends who are doctors or nurses and I know how hard they've worked and the risks they've taken.

I was in a 12-piece classic soul /R'n'B band for 13 years, it was great fun.

I take it you've ordered a Tele kit? They are fairly straightforward to assemble. Most of the work goes to getting the finish right but there are a few things like bridge positioning that you need some care over.

It would be nice if you have enough time to start a build diary, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thank you Simon! That is so kind. You guessed right. It's a Tele. That Steve Cropper sound has got to be heard. If everything goes according to plan, I'd very much like to build a 12 string Ric. for the Beatles cover band. That would be great. Have to talk to my wife before that, I think. A wise guitar-friend told me once what to answer to the question you often get: 'How many guitars do you own?" Answer: Don't know, but I need just one more.
    I'll make a start with a diary, sounds like great fun.
    Cheers!

Welcome Koos,
    Fellow Dutchy here too, now in Aus.
    As Simon attentively points out, thank you for your efforts, I have huge respect for the people actively caring for people during this crisis.

I am keen to see what and how you are going to build your Tele. Have done one myself and am currently in the process of doing some upgrades to her: pickups, push/pull pot, pickguard, etc.

Most importantly, enjoy the process!

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRolf View Post
    Welcome Koos,
    Fellow Dutchy here too, now in Aus.
    As Simon attentively points out, thank you for your efforts, I have huge respect for the people actively caring for people during this crisis.

I am keen to see what and how you are going to build your Tele. Have done one myself and am currently in the process of doing some upgrades to her: pickups, push/pull pot, pickguard, etc.

Most importantly, enjoy the process!

Thanks Rolf! That's so kind. Like to see your Tele. Which pickups did you buy for the upgrade?
    Cheers!

This is the link to my build diary: <Link>
    This is the link to my upgrades page: <Link>

I choose for the Tonerider Vintage plus: https://tonerider.com/product/vintag...v=6cc98ba2045f
    I really liked the sound demo's, and they seemed to have a great sound for the price. Also regarding the warranty, I've read some positive experiences. I like to endorse companies that stand behind their products and provide service when called upon. You can buy them directly through their website, but perhaps they have a dealer in the Netherlands.

Cheers