Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: The DPZ-4 Sinosauropteryx Bass Build

  1. #11
    Mentor fender3x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,622
    If you are looking for a classic tone, the EMG Geezer Butlers are hard to beat and should be priced comparably to the DM. If you want a bit higher output and more like a quarter pounder, I am really liking these

    https://epiccustomshop.com/product/b...ld-for-p-bass/

    They are cheaper than any new SD, DM or EMG pups, but it's a small shop and shipping may be the deal breaker.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  2. #12
    Member lunaticds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Ballarat, Vic
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    If you are looking for a classic tone, the EMG Geezer Butlers are hard to beat and should be priced comparably to the DM. If you want a bit higher output and more like a quarter pounder, I am really liking these

    https://epiccustomshop.com/product/b...ld-for-p-bass/

    They are cheaper than any new SD, DM or EMG pups, but it's a small shop and shipping may be the deal breaker.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    I've got a set of Geezers in my Aerodyne. I like 'em, but I wouldn't mind a little more lower end. It looks like EPIC don't ship outside of the US I'm afraid. Still, always good to know about the smaller guys in case I come across them somewhere. Cheers.

  3. #13

  4. Liked by: Andyxlh

  5. #14
    Mentor fender3x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,622
    I have a set of Gotoh Res-o-lites in one of my basses. They are really great tuners.

    For the bridge, if you are going high-mass, I have a couple of Sung Il BB404 bridges that I really like.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/371917265109

    Same company that makes a lot of Wilkinson parts. They're cheaper than the Gotohs and have locking saddles. Not as vintage a look as the Gotoh's though!

  6. #15
    Member lunaticds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Ballarat, Vic
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    I have a set of Gotoh Res-o-lites in one of my basses. They are really great tuners.

    For the bridge, if you are going high-mass, I have a couple of Sung Il BB404 bridges that I really like.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/371917265109

    Same company that makes a lot of Wilkinson parts. They're cheaper than the Gotohs and have locking saddles. Not as vintage a look as the Gotoh's though!
    I'm a pretty big fan of Gotohs in general. I find a $100 set of tuners on a guitar reasonable. Not so much when they cost more than the guitar is worth
    Never heard of Sung Il before, but it seems that they're pretty good. Only gotcha for me at the moment is that I'm not finding anywhere in Oz that sells them. Definitely keeping an eye out on their gear for future builds. Shipping from the US at the moment is horrendous. My last build was left sitting a month after it was complete just waiting on pickups... and I had them ordered early!
    I can see some of their bridges landing on my builds.. possibly even being retrofitted into my Yamaha which could do with some TLC.

  7. #16
    Mentor Andyxlh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,201
    I have a similar bridge on my RC4, itís great, but I had to recess it into the body a bit to get the action correct

  8. #17
    Mentor fender3x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,622
    I don't know how they'd work on an RC-4 kit, but they are no taller than my Fender bridges. I have one for a P-bass and one for a Jazz. No excavating was necessary ;-)

    I have only seen them from internet suppliers. I've gotten them on Alibaba and eBay...right now I am only seeing them on eBay unfortunately. I think they do most of their business with OEM builders, and don't sell much to the public. There are a few shops in the US and in the UK that sell them. Not sure about NZ or Aus.

  9. #18
    Member lunaticds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Ballarat, Vic
    Posts
    145
    Playing around with prototype minimalist pick guards:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot at 2021-10-24 15-21-47.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	41957
    This was a 2 part P-Bass design that I've put together then carved up. It's not 100% but I'm curious to see how I can tidy it up. It does need more screw holes, and I was having some trouble adding more, but for the sake of seeing what I can come up with at the highest possible quality settings, this will do for now. I'm not even sure if PBG have used a standard P-Bass guard to know if these will even be close.
    I suspect that my printer will struggle with the logo being so small.
    I should have the first attempt printed later tonight. It's looking to be about a 12 hour print given the quality level I've sliced at.

    I'm not entirely convinced that I'll want to have the finished product 3D printed - I may wind up wanting to get some pickguard material and use this as a template to carve one out. Will see once it's printed I guess.

  10. #19
    Mentor Andyxlh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,201
    Love it! It might be easier to cut from a blank, but I do like this 3d idea.
    The bridge I used on the RC4A was a bit thicker and a lot heavier than the MM style bridge it came with (which went on the PB4 Frankenbass). As the RC4A is a fixed neck I was caught short on shimming it, and had to lower the bridge into the body about 2mm to get the action correct, but it came out nicely. The pics are in the link below, it looks much like this bridge, but not exactly the same.

  11. #20
    Mentor fender3x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyxlh View Post
    ...The bridge I used on the RC4A was a bit thicker and a lot heavier than the MM style bridge it came with (which went on the PB4 Frankenbass). As the RC4A is a fixed neck I was caught short on shimming it, and had to lower the bridge into the body about 2mm to get the action correct, but it came out nicely. The pics are in the link below, it looks much like this bridge, but not exactly the same.
    Wow! That really came out beautifully. No chipping that I can spot around the rout!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •