Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ES-1F First time builder

ES-1F First time builder

So, after much deliberating I've finally made a start with finishing the body. I'm using RIT fabric dyes. I did a black coat and then sanded back to try to highlight the flame pattern (which is not particularly spectacular on this body). Then I've coated with blue. I'm going to leave the sides and back natural (I may just use a subtle darker tone) and lacquer the whole thing. I plan to do the front of the headstock in the same blue but leave the rest of the headstock/neck natural colour.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guitar (Copy).jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	42449

No, not a spectacular pattern, but still enough to be interesting. It should look even better with a clear coat on it.

3. Liked by: PorkyPig

A little more progress.....

I decided to fade to turquoise in the middle of the body and do a similar pattern on the headstock. I've done the sides a lighter blue and I'm leaving the back and the fretboard natural. I've glued the neck in place and Simon Barden was right about the neck angle - it is a bit on the shallow side but I reckon just about OK. I've replaced the plastic nut with a bone one. Now just waiting for the glue to dry before I give the whole thing a couple of coats of 2K clearcoat.

Name:	guitar.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	256.7 KB 
ID:	42468
    Last edited by PorkyPig; 29-01-2022 at 01:35 PM.

That's going to look great when it's got a clear cote on.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Got the gloss on. Two coat of 2K clear coat front a can. A painstaking rub-down / flatten with 360 and then 600 grit. Then a second & third thick coat of 2K. I just hope it plays as good as it looks!

Quote Originally Posted by PorkyPig View Post
    Got the gloss on. Two coat of 2K clear coat front a can. A painstaking rub-down / flatten with 360 and then 600 grit. Then a second & third thick coat of 2K. I just hope it plays as good as it looks!
    Oops... I forgot to post the pic! It's pretty good but could still benefit from a bit of buffing

Name:	Top Coat.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	42505

9. Liked by: mrpearson

Lovely.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PorkyPig View Post
    Oops... I forgot to post the pic! It's pretty good but could still benefit from a bit of buffing
    Looks like it's still got some 'orange peel' and could be sanded flatter before buffing (though it could just be the photo), but it's coming along nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Looks like it's still got some 'orange peel' and could be sanded flatter before buffing (though it could just be the photo), but it's coming along nicely.
    Yes, I already flat sanded with 800 & 2000 grit and buffed. Look better now.
    Last edited by PorkyPig; 02-02-2022 at 04:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast