Thread: Ammo Box Guitar

Ammo Box Guitar

Hi Guys,
    Feeling confident after my Pitbull EXP build, I decided to try something more personalised... and use up a lot of the spare parts and pickups I had accumulated.

This latest 'Loughran custom' was a fun and relatively low cost guitar build.
    It provided an opportunity for me to combine two themes that im passionate about, specifically; Guitars and Sniper Rifles.

This is a 4 pickup, 7.62 Calibre, Ammo Box guitar!
    The guitar is actually quite heavy as internal to the ammo box is a solid chunk of Australian Iron Bark timber. Iron bark is a very dense hardwood (1120 kilograms per cubic metre! ) and as such provides a very solid and stable structure for the guitars bridge and neck to bolt in to. It also helps with the overall balance of the guitar as a perfect offset against the weight of the headstock and tuners.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AmmoBox_Guitar_Pitbull.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	656.9 KB 
ID:	43853

Uniquely the design utilises cut down 7.62 x 54R Rifle Casings as the pickup mounting rings.
    Note: 7.62 x 54R rounds are what were used by Vasily Zaitsev (Sniper), and as depicted in the Sniper battle, in the 'Enemy at the gates' movie.

Another interesting feature are the 4 Mini Toggle switches, which offer 16 pickup configurations.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AmmoBox_Guitar_01_pitbull.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	746.8 KB 
ID:	43854
    Otherwise, this guitar is quite simplistic and utilises only a single volume control. Due to the pickup selection (Roughly Hot PAF like humbuckers) and pickup placement/ pairing arrangement, the guitar is surprisingly dynamic and responsive.

Hopefully this inspires you to undertake your own custom build

PS: Here is a short video demo..

2. Liked by: FrankenWashie

🤘 that is awesome! Sounds good in the video.

4. Liked by: GerardL

Very cool and very different. Great sounding also.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

6. Liked by: GerardL