Thread: First Build SSc-1S

First Build SSc-1S

Hi guys.
    I'm Mark, this is my first post here. Just officially starting my build.
    I ordered the spalted maple lp style kit and was surprised when it turned out to be a set neck, I didn't even notice when I ordered, just assumed it would be bolt-on. I upgraded the tuners to Grover and upgraded to a bone nut. They are the only parts I will be using as I have a set of Epiphone ProBuckers with the full circuit and coil taps to put into this and a bridge and tailpiece I bought for a guitar repair but ended up using something else.
    I am happy with the kit and looking forward to the build.
    I am very impressed with the postage time from Australia to the UK, I was expecting to be waiting at least another week.
    So just introducing myself, and getting ready for a few days of sanding.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First shot new project.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	39834

Hi Mark - your kits looks great. I look forward to following your build with interest.

I’m a new builder (in the UK too) and the people on the forum have helped me out loads!

Good luck!

Welcome Mark! Your kit looks great, looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Welcome Mark!

Wow am I happy to tune in today, didn't know pbg started doing lp's again!

Can't wait to see what you are going to do with her. Have fun with the build!

Welcome!
    Good luck with your build. Lots of questions and patience!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks for the welcome.
    I have been sanding all day and plan to be sanding all day again tomorrow. (during my coffee breaks at work, anyway) I may as well keep sanding until the stains arrive.
    I think I have watched too many crimson guitar videos because I am already changing my mind on the colour.
    I was planning a kind of smokehouse burst like on the Gibson studio but been thinking today and I don't think it will look right with that white binding. I have a telecaster kit with white binding so might use that as a practice piece for the stains... a few days to consider my options.

Update.

Update on the build so far.
    I decided to tape the binding after responses to my question on here.
    Fine sanding is done and started with the staining. My first attempt at staining so hopefully won't destroy the guitar too much.
    Done the back and neck in black.

Name:	Guitar build 1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	39865

Decided to do the headstock first that way I don't have to correct the larger area of the body if things go wrong. This is not finished yet, I need to burst it with some black around the edge.

Name:	Guitar build.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	39866
    “Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world.” Miyamoto Musashi

Nice looking kit, Mr Shingleton. I see you’ve stained the neck where it gets glued into the body. People often recommend keeping that stain free. No big deal, I wouldn’t take any chances and I’d sand the stain off that part.

9. Liked by: Mark_Shingleton

Looks great. Those glue marks can be a pain though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Liked by: Mark_Shingleton

OK. So it has been a long time since I updated on this build. I have not been able to get to it as much as I planned due to family issues but I have been doing a little when I had the chance.
    So, I completely messed up the stain and tried my best to get something good out of it but wasn't happening. This was my first attempt at using stain so I think I will give it more practise before I try on another guitar. So I painted it instead. It means I lost that spalted maple which is a shame but I am happy with the finish. I had a few issues with the paint too (due to people interfering and ruining the paint job constantly, so I kept having to sand it off and start again) Then after I lacquered it my uncle decided to rub it down with scotch bright and covered it in scratches, which set me back again trying to take out the scratches and redo the lacquer.
    Today I glued the neck and body together and started to add the hardware. My uncle is banned from touching the guitar because every time he does I have to start again!
    This has not been a perfect build. There have been a lot of mistakes made and the finish is not the best, on close inspection, there are tiny scratches and marks, but I believe I have saved it and will end up with a good guitar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pitt bull 5.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	41939  
    Last edited by Mark_Shingleton; 21-10-2021 at 06:57 AM.
    “Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world.” Miyamoto Musashi