Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Oops... I did it again...

Dang, McCreed, that's a beauty!

Yes, that does look good. It would be interesting to see it with the white knobs and covers as well.

You make replacing frets sound trivially easy ;-)

Not sure that they've got the effect of the copper foil shielding quite right in that analysis. 150pF is only about 3 feet/1m of typical guitar cable, and I really can't see that small amount bringing the resonant peak down from 3.7kHz to 3.2kHz. The resonant peak figure is given without a cable attached (as no-one knows what cable type and length you are using). That 500Hz drop would indicate that adding an 18 foot cable at 80pF per foot would drop the resonant peak right down and the pickups would sound really dull (which is not the case), so I can't see that being correct.

I'd expect they've got a decimal point in the wrong place or confused picofarads with nanofarads, or measured the extra capacitance value incorrectly or something similar.

It will certainly have an effect, but for that given capacitance figure, I don't think it can be anywhere near as big as suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Not sure that they've got the effect of the copper foil shielding quite right in that analysis. 150pF is only about 3 feet/1m of typical guitar cable, and I really can't see that small amount bringing the resonant peak down from 3.7kHz to 3.2kHz. The resonant peak figure is given without a cable attached (as no-one knows what cable type and length you are using). That 500Hz drop would indicate that adding an 18 foot cable at 80pF per foot would drop the resonant peak right down and the pickups would sound really dull (which is not the case), so I can't see that being correct.

I'd expect they've got a decimal point in the wrong place or confused picofarads with nanofarads, or measured the extra capacitance value incorrectly or something similar.

It will certainly have an effect, but for that given capacitance figure, I don't think it can be anywhere near as big as suggested.
    I don't have enough technical knowledge to dispute either argument, but this data was posted on two different forums and no one has pulled him (the author) up on it. Seemed pretty thorough to a layman like myself.

Did you read Antigua's very last post dated 8 March 2021? Maybe his data there will shed further light on his previous numbers. Dunno...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I know a bit more than you, Mick, but not enough to comment on what exactly should have happened. He's probably reliant on someone's modelling software, which may not be perfect. A lot of the other commentators on that aren't that hot on electronics, as there's someone describing tone cap values in picofarads (10^-12 F)when they meant nanofarads (10^-9 F) and no-one pulled that up.

At least he reduced the foil's extra capacitance value to 30pF, which will make almost no difference in reality.

You can't 'eliminate' eddy currents by breaking the tape. You'll reduce them slightly but not eliminate them.

The chap know a reasonable amount, but he's got a few things wrong. Grounded tape does block electromagnetic interference i.e radio waves. It doesn't block direct magnetic interference e.g. a magnetic field from a transformer.

But we are all learning, and sometimes it's only by stating something and getting corrected that we learn more. But you also need to know enough to know when something isn't quite right. The trouble with the web is that it's easy enough for something to get taken as gospel because it looks technical, and then referred to elsewhere and then repeated and so becomes a 'fact'. I've tried a few pickup filter calculators on the web and I've got different results. But I don't know enough to determine which ones are correct and which aren't.

Regardless of the numbers, charts and graphs, if the pickups sound good, I'll be happy. If not, I have other options in my parts box.

As I said earlier, I remember them favourably but didn't feel I had anything to lose by removing the shielding. TBH I was surprised just how good they sounded for stock pickups in a Squier. Certainly better than the bar magnet single coils that you often get.
    I just can't help myself when it comes to tinkering sometimes, so I reckoned why not.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Regardless of the numbers, charts and graphs, if the pickups sound good, I'll be happy. If not, I have other options in my parts box.
    I was reminded of this youtube by the statement above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KtjKFwacvs

I love learning about what the various components do. It gives you an idea of the possible, and a healthy skepticism about magical claims. Still only a bit of experimentation will tell you how things are going to sound...

...BTW I really like the black covers. We ordered white and black for my daughter's build. Showing her a pic of yours as an example of how things could look.

I kept the Duncan Designed humbuckers on my Hamer Echotone 335-alike as to me they sounded eerily similar to the Classic 57s on my real 335. I would have needed to have gone up to boutique level pickups to get any appreciable improvement.

I'm sure yours will sound really nice, Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    I was reminded of this youtube by the statement above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KtjKFwacvs

I love learning about what the various components do. It gives you an idea of the possible, and a healthy skepticism about magical claims. Still only a bit of experimentation will tell you how things are going to sound...

...BTW I really like the black covers. We ordered white and black for my daughter's build. Showing her a pic of yours as an example of how things could look.

The white pearl pickguard arrived yesterday and I did a quick "overlay" with it and the white covers & knobs. I definitely prefer the black. I'll get moving on re-shaping the p/g and then on to finishing things up.

I'll have a bit of downtime from the build as I'm having a minor surgery on my left index finger on Monday (no playing for a week or so either ) but hope to get the project done the week after.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast