Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Build number……. Well, a lot. TLB Tele bass

Kind of, but it's still very soft. Only ten coats though.

Quote Originally Posted by Micthedic View Post
    Kind of, but it's still very soft. Only ten coats though.
    OK, hopefully it will firm up. That's the real problem with the basswood I find, although the poly clear does seem to really toughen the surface layers.
    Mine will be a heavy relic, which is great so any additional dings just add 'character'...

I've just begun applying the crimson guitars High build oil, it's much much thicker than the penetrating and seems like It will build up a nice hard gloss once hardened. I'm Hopeful.

4. Liked by: Andyxlh

I've just begun applying the crimson guitars High build oil, it's much much thicker than the penetrating and seems like It will build up a nice hard gloss once hardened. I'm Hopeful.
    Awesome! Let me know how that goes. Back at work not online so the TLB project has stalled. Also the bits arrived for my ‘73 HD 2 stroke so I need to finish that after 12 years…

I am also part way through a tele bass build. I asked Simon the same question regarding the switch with the single coil pickup. I shall be watching your build diary with interest. Good luck
    It will work with a single coil. That's what the Broadcasters had, one single coil.

G&L had a similar cap in their basses, referred to by aficionados as the "OMG cap" because it makes them really boomy when engaged. G&L used a .1 uf cap. Not sure what the Broadcasters used, but might be better to start with a value used in a bass anyway ;-)

7. Liked by: Micthedic

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    It will work with a single coil. That's what the Broadcasters had, one single coil.

G&L had a similar cap in their basses, referred to by aficionados as the "OMG cap" because it makes them really boomy when engaged. G&L used a .1 uf cap. Not sure what the Broadcasters used, but might be better to start with a value used in a bass anyway ;-)
    Ok, so do you think it’s worthwhile? I’m at a loss to the sound of the single coil, so options are good, but I try to keep my live bass simple as I’m a clumsy clown. Anyone done this with a bass, or the broadcaster?
    So the third position just removes the tone circuit, to what advantage?

The first bass in this review will give you an idea of the single coil sound. YMMV ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EMtT0RRppI

I have two basses where I can approximate this by cutting out one of the coils. I use it quite a lot on my ASAT bass, which also has a Tele body. It has a fuller tone...all the lows, but more high end, but lower output than the humbucker in series.

As to the switch...you've got it so you might as well put it in. You may never use it but what the heck.

I think the original circuit had the three settings as (1) Volume-no-tone, (2) Volume and Tone and 3 Volume and fixed tone (tone pot out, capacitor in).

I think the first setting is pretty much exactly like position 2 with the tone pot turned all the way up (some people claim is has more highs, but I don't see how). Position three would give you just one tone setting--always on.

I would probably be inclined to do this circuit instead:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	esquire-noload-voltone-eldred.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	41941

Positions 2 and 3 would be the same as the "standard" circuit, but position 1 would take both the volume and tone out of the circuit. That would make it like a no-load pot wide open, which should give you some additional highs.

I think there are other things you could do as well. For example, I think you could set it up so that V and T are always on, and setting 2 and 3 add caps sort of like a simple varitone.

Of course one of these would also solve the problem of what to do with the switch, but it seems like a lot of $$$ to not have a switch ;-)

https://reverb.com/item/7035435-rock...-control-plate

Thank you! Now I'm excited, I can imagine that woody sound with a little drive - awesome! it sounds fantastic. What a great video too.
    I'm in 2 minds - cut the control plate down to remove the switch, or I like your second idea of bypassing the volume completely on one of the settings and a cap on one of the others........ gonna be a while so I'll think about it. thank you again!

Or, install some bright lights and/or a flashy LED strip and use the switch to turn them on and off. :-)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast