Thread: Help with wiring a dss-1

Help with wiring a dss-1

Picked up a DSS-1 kit last year and finally getting around to putting it together. This kit came with a bunch of pre-soldered pots and connections (see pics). I can't figure out what the pre-soldering was intended to do, but I'm a bit confused because it looks (to my entirely uneducated eyes) that a tone pot is wired up as a volume pot?

Any thoughts on what I would need to do to wire this thing up?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	potA.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	41724   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	potA-2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	41725   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	potB.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	41726  

You are correct. The pot with the capacitor soldered to it would typically be a "B" (aka linear) pot. The "A" (aka logarithmic or audio) pot would typically be used for the volume.
    HOWEVER, what you have there will still function albeit differently than you may desire due the the curves being opposites.

I actually prefer audio/logarithmic pots for my tone controls, so if it were me, I would just replace the the existing linear pot (B) in the volume position with an audio and call it good.

There are some players that prefer linear pots for volume. It all depends on your playing style and how you use the volume and tone controls. If you never use the tone control, and always play with the volume control on "10", you can just leave it the way it is and you won't be bothered by it.

Not that this matters to the present wiring you have, but I couldn't find the DSS-1 kit, what style guitar is it?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks for that - much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Not that this matters to the present wiring you have, but I couldn't find the DSS-1 kit, what style guitar is it?
    It looks to be a non-standard kit - HSH with 1 tone pot and 1 volume pot. Someone did a build of it here: https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ad.php?t=10796

There doesn't appear to be a wiring diagram for it, which doesn't help me with the present wiring situation either!

Ah yes, I remember that kit now.

This wiring diagram will work for that:
    https://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-co...s/pdf/IB-1.pdf

However, it won't split in positions 2 & 4 like an Ibanez will. I don't know if the kit HB's are two or four conductor wires either.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...