Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pit Bull IB-1F (First Build)

Pit Bull IB-1F (First Build)

Probably a little ambitious for my first build, but really wanted something with the Floyd Rose style tremolo.

Received the kit a few days ago. There are a few things that bugged my OCD, but I will work through them:

1 - Big scratch on back of neck
    2 - Big scratch on face of body
    3 - 1 rough fret (little burr from the tang)
    4 - Body too thin for the football jack plate, there will be an overhang
    4 - Need to route the rim around pickup cavities so the cover plates will sit flush with surface. Also going to make my own cover plate.

I will upgrade some of the parts, which I planned to do anyway (tuners, switch, pots, and eventually the pickups). Also going to drill a hole for a third pot.

Going to take my time with this and hopefully it turns out well. The dragon inlay work is amazing. Going to try and compliment it with a purple/green color morph paint job.
    Last edited by JJRebel; 27-09-2021 at 01:21 PM.

Keen to see some photos of the offending bits. Sounds like you might need to speak to Pitbull to get it sorted out.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Yeah, as soon as I read "big scratch" my first thought was send it back. Talk to Adam, I'm sure he can help you out.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Agreed, that doesn’t sound right

I would have thought that one would come with a deep panel or Barrel jack rather than an oval plate?

Scratches I would for sure contact PBG an send images.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Hi and welcome.

The proud control cover plate is standard for the kit. Probably because the Ibanez S series also has it.

Rough frets are to be expected with these low-cost kits. Some are better than others, but you can expect to do a reasonable amount of fret levelling and reprofiling to get your kit really playable.

These used to come with a top-mounted barrel jack, like an Ibanez S-series.

The kit photo indicates a barrel jack is supplied, which is normal for thin bodied, side-mounted jacks. But I can't find a recent build diary of one here, so I've got no idea what to expect on the kit now.

Due to the thinner than normal body, the cover plate probably needs to be proud in order to fit the pickup selector switch in. If you do plan to recess the plate, measure first, as you are probably only just fitting the kit selector switch in the space as it is. Replacements or super-switches may be a real issue as good quality switches tend to be a few mm taller. Also check pot heights, especially if you plan to use switched pots.

Yeah that looks odd. The website pictures of the kit show the oval jack plate, but not where it attaches. A barrel jack is a decent option, but make sure the control cavity allows it to be secured. My AIB didn't. I'd also be very careful about recessing the control cavity cover. I had a hell of a time with my AIB, without even doing any recessing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Note also that you'll really want to get a string retainer bar so a) the strings can be pulled down onto the locking nut, allowing you to use the main tuners to tune up and keep it in tune when locking the strings and b) allow the string locks to simply clamp down on the string to hold it in place, rather than one end of the plate also having to counter string tension trying to pull the plate up. They do clamp a lot better.

Can you clear up something for me here, JJRebel? Just looking at the IB-1F kit photos and there are conflicting images. There are a couple of photos on the PB site under that item of a finished build (stained green with pitbull logo on the headstock). These photos show a recessed jack on the front of the body as you see on a standard S series, however the selector switch isn't raised from the body like a standard S. However, the rest of the photos, coupled with what you're saying, seem to suggest the jack is more of an RG style positioning. Although, it sounds like this body is somewhere halfway between an S and an RG which is why the jack plate is too big?

I'm not seeing any IB kits that match that finished product in those pics.

Edit: Now I also see that the first photo shows a stock standard surface mount style jack as others have mentioned, but then another pic shows a barrel jack. Very confusing.
    Last edited by m0j0; 28-09-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast