Thread: Replacement nut for EX-1L

Replacement nut for EX-1L

The plastic nut that came with my EX-1L fell of and has run away to join the circus before I could measure it.

Anyone able to assist with measurements for a pre-slotted nut (eg TUSQ or similar)?

Quote Originally Posted by josh74 View Post
    The plastic nut that came with my EX-1L fell of and has run away to join the circus before I could measure it.

Anyone able to assist with measurements for a pre-slotted nut (eg TUSQ or similar)?
    Hi Josh. I hate it when that happens!

You can just measure the nut slot in the fretboard and compare the dimensions to the TUSQ replacement nuts available.

You may find that replacement nuts may be close, but not exactly the same size, so you want to go slightly larger rather than slightly smaller. The larger replacement will require some sanding or filing to get a good proper fit, but it is better than being too small and needing to shim or fill.
    Last edited by McCreed; 25-09-2021 at 07:04 PM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks for the replies.

I notice that the nuts Pitbull sell (although not in left handed) say '42mm width' but don't specify the 'e to e' measurement:
    https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...leached-white/

Might this one suit?
    https://www.realparts.com.au/nuts/bo...n-slotted.html

That Realparts one has a 43.5mm width. What's the width of the fretboard by the nut? My EX-1 nut measures 41.3mm fitted, and I used a 42mm nut and sanded the ends down to fit. Taking 1mm off the ends of a nut will put the two E strings very close to the edge of the fretboard.

So measure the nut width on the guitar and get a nut that's the same width or just slightly larger. You won't want to take off more than 1mm in total from the ends, and ideally much less. Get that sorted and I wouldn't worry about the E to E string dimension, it'll be fine.

Thanks again guys. I've found my missing plastic nut - according to my callipers it is 42 x 8.9 x 6mm. I had always planned to upgrade it - seems wrong to put $400 pickups into a guitar with a plastic nut. But at those measurements it seems highly unlikely I'm going to find a nut in Australia.

You'll almost always have to sand a replacement nut to size. The kit one will almost certainly be too tall and you'll either need to sand the bottom until the slots are low enough or preferably cut the nut slots deeper (but that requires nut files, which are expensive).

I buy cheap bone nuts from Amazon. What does typing "42mm left handed bone nut" into Amazon get you? I get a choice here in the UK. There are a lot of 43mm L/H bone nuts, fewer 42mm ones, but there are some.

If you had nut files, then it's easy enough to adjust the slope of the slot, as the nut will invariably be too tall so have plenty of scope for adjustment. Unfortunately, one thing you can't seem to get cheap are decent nut files. No idea why, but you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by colin2121 View Post
    better to not have a loose nut..
    Too late for that... the inmates are running the asylum....

The TUSQ nut blanks are even bigger. You have to work hard to remove the excess. better to get preformed nut.