Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Build #14 - Frankenstrat v2

Hmmm... I found the progress photos but I didn't take any before the black coat so not sure. But I think I did prime it and I think it might be needed, so Duramax might be the go. Fortunately I already have a nearly full can of hot lips from the IB7 I recently re-worked.

Sounds like a score! The dura max is very hard wearing which is great so when you have it reliced it stays that way without deteriorating further easily

Christmas hath come early. Have checked all the parts are there but since I won't be using many of them, it wasn't are thorough check. Will leave this boxed for a while as I have a couple of "no going back" decisions to make about how I want to approach this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210929_014614202.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	41731
    Last edited by m0j0; 29-09-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Quick inspection shows the body in pretty good condition.

Name:	PXL_20210929_014849237.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	349.4 KB 
ID:	41732

This knot in the body is a bit ugly, but given the solid colours it shouldn't be an issue as long as I prep correctly.

Name:	PXL_20210929_014853237.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	344.4 KB 
ID:	41733

This tiny ding on the horn should come out easily enough. That and a little nick around the edge of the humbucker route are the only bits of damage I could find so far.

Name:	PXL_20210929_014908534.jpg 
Size:	246.2 KB 
ID:	41734

Back of the body looks good.

Name:	PXL_20210929_014928998.jpg 
Size:	322.4 KB 
ID:	41735

Very thin bit of wood between the humbucker route and control cavity is probably normal but looks weird to me. Can't help but think it would be easier if it wasn't there at all. No such separation between a single coil version and the control cavity. It might get removed.

Name:	PXL_20210929_015003274.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	41736

Neck looks OK to me. Dots seem to be aligned. Not that my eyes are any good anyway.

Name:	PXL_20210929_015130050.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	411.0 KB 
ID:	41737

Name:	PXL_20210929_015137830.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	402.4 KB 
ID:	41738

So the decision I have to make. I'm leaning more towards doing a Frankenstrat tribute rather than a Frankenstrat clone. I want to have something that looks pretty much the real deal on first glance to the untrained eye, but I also want to have something that's playable with less of the hacks. So, the differences I'm looking at compared to a clone:

1) I think I'll drop in a Floyd Special, but I feel like I want to route it out so it sits as designed rather than having to add a shim to the neck pocket to get a decent action.

2) Keep the design as close as I can get it, but forego the standard relicing. I'd be happy if it got worn down through use however.

3) Not put any reflectors on the back. I can imagine that wouldn't be overly comfortable when playing.

4) (this one I'm not too sure of) Wire up the neck single coil. I won't be using the kit pickup but I have no idea what I will put in there yet. Of course, this will mean having to install a selector switch. The more I think about this, the less I'm inclined to do it, but I'm leaving it here as a placeholder.

5) I've already got the Grover upgrade rather than going for the Schaller tuners. Even if I were going for a clone that would be good enough for me.

Hello! Here's some thoughts, feel free to ignore!

Quote Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
    So the decision I have to make. I'm leaning more towards doing a Frankenstrat tribute rather than a Frankenstrat clone. I want to have something that looks pretty much the real deal on first glance to the untrained eye, but I also want to have something that's playable with less of the hacks. So, the differences I'm looking at compared to a clone:

1) I think I'll drop in a Floyd Special, but I feel like I want to route it out so it sits as designed rather than having to add a shim to the neck pocket to get a decent action.
    That works, and you can have it floating too. Probably a more difficult job than shimming, as it is straightforward to set up as the strings don't need to be removed, just loosened so the Floyd can be lifted from its pins

2) Keep the design as close as I can get it, but forego the standard relicing. I'd be happy if it got worn down through use however.
    Fair enough, I like the relicing so i don't have to worry about a case

3) Not put any reflectors on the back. I can imagine that wouldn't be overly comfortable when playing.
    You don't notice them, at least I don't

4) (this one I'm not too sure of) Wire up the neck single coil. I won't be using the kit pickup but I have no idea what I will put in there yet. Of course, this will mean having to install a selector switch. The more I think about this, the less I'm inclined to do it, but I'm leaving it here as a placeholder.
    Yes great idea. I did that, with a micro switch in the place of one of the tone controls. I also coil-tapped the humbucker, with a push-pull on the volume. Gives loads of tonal variations. You could put a 3-way in the slot instead

5) I've already got the Grover upgrade rather than going for the Schaller tuners. Even if I were going for a clone that would be good enough for me.
    You might want to hang on to them if the kit machine heads are OK (most are), as the kit ones are the correct shape, and as you will be reliant on the locking nut and violin style tuners on the Floyd for fine tuning the Grovers might not be best utilised there (assuming you have other projects they might work on, if not, great excuse to buy one!)

Quote Originally Posted by Andyxlh View Post
    Hello! Here's some thoughts, feel free to ignore!
    If I was planning on ignoring thoughts, I wouldn't post here. The more input, the better because I always assume my ideas are flawed at best, if not completely idiotic. Like I said, I haven't made a decision on anything. I've got too many on the go at the moment to even think about starting on this one right now anyway.

I think I might have to just get the Floyd and see how it sits without routing. Not particularly concerned about having it floating, was just thinking of dive-only but sitting flush. Will just have to line everything up and see what's what. To be honest, I'm more of a hard-tail fan myself. I'm not good enough to be able to incorporate well timed and in tune trem work in my playing and I never will be.

As for the tuners, I was thinking the same about them being wasted behind a floyd nut. I am in the middle of another ST build which I didn't get Grovers for (I don't think I did - too many parts floating around). Might be better served there. And then I'll have two sets of kit tuners to pick the six least crappy from.

I prefer to mount the FR on the body. I'm a hack on guitar, and if I press down on the FR with the heel of my hand and it is floating the guitar is out of tune. It's way easier to mount flat on the body than to faff about trying to tidily rout out the hole to the correct depth, remember the hole would have to be PERFECTLY flat at the bottom and exactly the right depth or you will have to float the trem or shim the neck anyway (or possibly both). Just start with a heavy gauge pick hard up against the heel of the the neck pocket and you will be close! With the brass block I'd say the sustain would be similar to a hard tail, as the FR is very heavy and locked back against the body with serious spring action too.
    At school I have been part of 50++ kit builds with the kids, and probably had 5 or so crappy tuners. When they are good they are better than fine, I'd say you should find enough there to do the job.

Btw the original guitar body was sold to EVH cheap as it had a flaw in it, an unsightly knot, so yours is perfect!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast