Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Build #14 - Frankenstrat v2

Build #14 - Frankenstrat v2

Seemed like a good idea after a few beers yesterday, now I'm not so sure. This won't be an exact replica but will be closer than the non-PB version I did a few years ago.

It all started with wondering how hard it would be to get a 1971 quarter on eBay which led to the Pit Bull purchase. I also bought the quarter but not sure if I'm going to use it. I ordered the GSH-1 kit (with maple fretboard) because I didn't feel like routing out the humbucker cavity myself and I was just going to stick with the F-style tremolo, but now I'm considering getting a Floyd setup and attempting to make that fit myself. Will sit on that one for a while.

Been eyeing off this to replace the kit humbucker - https://www.amazon.com/Fender-022213.../dp/B002IGT0VY

Really not sure how far I'll take this. This could be a long project or I could just give up. I really think I need one of those breathalyzer devices attached to my credit card.

Or perhaps a Seymour Duncan Custom Shop 78? Those things are quite pricey in Aus. And then do I get the trembucker or do I go for authenticity and get the humbucker and out it at an angle? So many options, so little bank balance...

Nice! On mine I used the 71 quarter
    The Floyd is quite easy to set up, the problem is it sits flat on the body so to adjust the action you need to shim the neck. Apparently EVH used a fender heavy pick, I used that and a little foil to get it just right.
    The Floyd rose special is a great trem to use, cheaper than the German one but much better than the licensed ones. All steel except the string locks on the bridge.
    I filled the HSH body I had to get the correct profile of the holes, I also put 2 dummy screws in the back of the neck to look like the nut attachment
    The pickup is an Artist Bullbucker, absolutely awesome hot wound for a steal.
    They stock the correct oval reflectors at Bunnings, but not the round ones.
    I really enjoyed the time taken to age it correctly (or best I could)
    This is one of my most played guitars, I hope you enjoy yours
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D7242F5-76AB-4534-B3DA-8AD5FE0AEFE1.jpeg 
Views:	151 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	41689

It doesn’t have to be very expensive, the FR was about $100, the pickup $40 or so, did you request a black scratch plate from Pitbull? The eyelets are 25mm from Bunnings, about $4
    I found the best paint to use was Dunlop dura max gloss white/black, and Hot Lips for the Schwin bike paint is very close, about $45
    You will need a Floyd string retainer fir the headstock, eBay.
    Use one of the kit pickups for the front and the annoying thing is buying a really nice 5 way switch and ruining it for the centre position! They are about $30
    Apart from the white knob, your PB kit should have everything else you need, use their machine heads, socket, screws and so on.
    I made a saltwater slurry to age non electric bits, and used acrylic paint to dirty stuff up too
    Immense fun!

I didn't get a black scratch plate as it wasn't an option with that kit and I didn't think to ask. Can grab one on eBay for about $13 anyway. Thanks for the tip on the neck shim - that would probably have tripped me up and I would have taken many wrong options trying to work out how to fix it. I like the sound of the FR. The only options I'd seen in my limited search was genuine (quite expensive) and cheap eBay options (likely plain rubbish). I like the sound of a middle ground.

I'd already checked out your build diary a while back on this and you were already going to be my go-to guy with all my questions. As for the paint, my previous version of this I used SCA auto paints and was quite happy with the colours and how it turned out. Was probably the only good thing about the whole build given the cheapness of the kit and the lack of upgrades.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170324_154854(1).jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	310.4 KB 
ID:	41690

That looks pretty good!
    You could develop that one further… it’s close!
    At least your kit will come with the white tone knob!!!
    The neck needs to not fit in the pocket, it is a Tele style neck end in a strat body. I took the sander to the end of the neck to square it off
    To be authentic you need a truss rod that adjusts from the heel, but I let that go
    Here’s a special at an ok price
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-...154756-20017-0

It’s worth picking up a brass block to add to this if you can

Will the SCA paint go on the timber with no primer? It has to else you will see it through the wear

I had thought about going back to the original build and working on it but about the only thing worth keeping is the body and from memory, it's an alder body so even that isn't right. Given a new kit with the correct wood and fretboard was fairly cheap, I figured I'd just do that. In fact, even the FR special and the brass block nearly costs more than the kit. I think this will be one of those projects that takes quite some time and I just pick up parts when I can. If the wife complains I can always go back to the old "at least I'm not spending the money on meth" line.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyxlh View Post
    Will the SCA paint go on the timber with no primer? It has to else you will see it through the wear
    I can't even remember if I primed the last one. I'll have to find my old progress photos. They must be somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
    I can't even remember if I primed the last one. I'll have to find my old progress photos. They must be somewhere.
    Ok, doesn’t matter for that one. The duramax is self priming so it goes straight on, which is why I used it here

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast