Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: American Ash Finish

American Ash Finish

I'm waiting for delivery of a GST-1 American Ash Stratocaster kit and need some finishing advice as all my previous builds have been mostly solid colour and I want to preserve the look and feel of the grain.

I have previously used Tru Oil on guitar necks but it is hideously expensive here in South Africa and 'goes off' in the plastic bottle very quickly. I have found a local source for Liberon Finishing Oil which I think is a blended oil based on Tung Oil with an added drier. I gather it is thinner than Tru Oil and soaks into the grain but with enough coats it should produce a stain/semi gloss finish which is what I'm looking for.

The Liberon web site shows that it is generally used for finishing furniture but does anyone have experience of using this on a guitar body?

I haven't used it myself, but having a look at the description it certainly seems to have potential. They also offer a "quick drying tung oil", which may be even better suited.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I do not have any experience with Liberon products either, but looking at the website, they have a "Hard Wearing Varnish" which I would guess is an oil based polyurethane. Poly is used a lot in DIY guitar building. I use satin poly pretty much exclusively on my necks now, but have also used it on the Ash body of the tele in my avatar (however that was gloss).

In the Liberon application instructions it says it can be thinned 10-20% with white spirit (what we call mineral turpentine in AUS - not sure what it is in SA). Those instructions are for a brush or roller application, but I would suggest thinning further and wiping on with a clean lint-free cloth, the same as you would do with Tru Oil. You would want to experiment with the amount of thinning, but I use a 50/50 to 60/40 ratio with oil based poly I use. I'll just reiterate that I have not used the Liberon stuff.

You will need to grain fill Ash if you want a smooth flat finish, or don't grain fill if you prefer a more textured look.
    I used a ebony grain filler on the tele to contrast the grain more.

This is a gloss poly, but you get the idea:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ash Tele edit 900x810.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	41675
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Making Progress

Thanks for the input.

I haven’t used grain filler as I prefer the ‘textured’ look and feel. I have applied the first coat of Liberon Finishing Oil straight from the tin and it soaked into the wood in a few seconds. I wiped off what excess there was after 10 minutes.

It’s much thinner than Tru Oil and goes on very easily and evenly. I need to let each coat dry for 5 hours and I’m planning to do five or more coats and see what it looks like.

Sounds good Chris. Look forward to seeing some photos.

The Liberon products are available here in AUS so it would be great to see how it goes. Always good to add another finishing option to the book!

Also, I just found a Liberon supplier only 3k's from my house!

Starting to look good

I’m 6 very thin coats in and it’s starting to look pretty good. It goes on much thinner than Tru Oil and is very even but will take a lot more coats to build up a really deep gloss shine.
    I need to work out how to post photos on here!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B832B48E-BB9F-4347-A14E-7698E49A9E67.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	41882  
    Last edited by Chris Morris; 14-10-2021 at 10:46 PM.

I’ll take a better photo tomorrow when the oil has hardened.

Looking good Chris!
    I think I can see a reflection of you taking the photo. If you're getting a that level of gloss after 6 coats, that's very good IMO.
    I don't think I've experienced that quick a build with Tru Oil. (presuming it's not still wet in the photo)

Starting to Shine

Seventh coat now dry. I gave the sixth coat it a very gentle rub with 0000 steel wool and it’s starting to achieve the look I’m going for.

I’m thinking of about 5 more coats.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC7413BA-8D35-4307-9177-895D38FD18D3.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	438.4 KB 
ID:	41923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	92A81B03-9565-4A7E-A596-19713E0E0FC5.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	41924  

Nice. I've seen a few builds recently with no stain, just a clear coat over the natural timber. I have to say it's a look that's growing on me!
    Good on ya!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast