Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: TL- electronic or pickup upgrades

I fitted a 0.015uF Russian-made PIO cap on the Tele I just fitted a BK to (it was a Boot Camp range pickup, so cheaper than their more 'bespoke' range). Even that at full roll-off is too dark and muffled for me to use, but you get good controllability over most of the tone pot travel. The tone cap values make almost no difference to the sound to my ears with the tone on 10, and the theory calcs show it's fractions of a dB change at high frequencies. It's more the effect it has on the sound with the pot rolled down that you need to consider, and that's very much personal taste.

Yes, I grounded the cover for the neck pickup seperate to the windings when doing the series mod.
    I find the balance on the toneriders bridge/neck is good on both the hot wound and classics

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRolf View Post
    I just had a look at the series-mod, is there any advantage of having a push-pull pot over a 4-way switch for this mod?
    I fitted a four-way Oak Grigsby to my tele to add the series position. The stock pitbull control plate slot didn't allow enough travel for that switch, so I had to extend the slot and shave a little off the switch lever. If I'd though about it, I would probably have gone with the push-pull instead, although if that's a full size pot, it might present it's opwn problems with regard to control cavity size and control plate positioning.

The stock pitbull control plate slot didn't allow enough travel for that switch, so I had to extend the slot and shave a little off the switch lever.
    That's not uncommon even with genuine Fender control plates as they just weren't designed with an extra position in mind.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by jonwhitear View Post
    I fitted a four-way Oak Grigsby to my tele to add the series position. The stock pitbull control plate slot didn't allow enough travel for that switch, so I had to extend the slot and shave a little off the switch lever. If I'd though about it, I would probably have gone with the push-pull instead, although if that's a full size pot, it might present it's opwn problems with regard to control cavity size and control plate positioning.
    Thanks Jon, will keep that in mind.
    I am not afraid to widen the control cavity, it also sounds more straightforward than extending the slot. I did the bridge cavity a while back (after finishing) and although it is not ideal, with some tape as protection, it is fine. Also, I quite like the idea of a push-pull pot more, when you think about operating it mid-playing.

Though Simon said it is not an affordable hobby, together we make it more affordable, eliminating unnecessary mistakes! Thanks everyone ;-)
    I will progress and finding when I get to it.

The pull is great because is bypasses the switch, allowing you to drop in and out of standard Tele, leaving the position as you set it, at least I found it simpler
    I did remove a little timber from the bottom of the cavity for the longer pot, using a chisel

Here's my two cents. I made a Tele with an Artist Bullbucker humbucker in the neck and a Tonerider Hot classic in the bridge, 3 way switch, 50's wiring with no treble bleed, 500k push-push pot in the volume and 250k pot for the tone ( I think? Did a lot of mods before I was happy with the result). I find the push push pots so much easier to use. I played around with the capacitors as they are really cheap from Jaycar and easy to test with a set of jumper leads. Pots are cheap and readily available too. I used the pots supplied with the kit to test, then ordered upgraded versions. The setup gives me everything from smooth jazz to great blues, screaming punk to clean funk and everything in between. Great for taking to parties where any style might be played.
    Pots, capacitors, switches, wiring styles are all the cheapest and easiest thing to mod on a Tele. A good set of pickups, a good amp and a trip down the long road of finding "that" tone is all part of the fun of building.

8. Liked by: RocknRolf

Push-push are definitely easier to use than push-pull pots, though some people prefer push-pull if they are in the habit of hitting the knobs with their hands and inadvertently bringing in the switch. Very unlikely on a Tele though with the standard switch-first arrangement. Far more likely on a Strat's volume knob. It all comes down to how you play.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Push-push are definitely easier to use than push-pull pots, though some people prefer push-pull if they are in the habit of hitting the knobs with their hands and inadvertently bringing in the switch. Very unlikely on a Tele though with the standard switch-first arrangement. Far more likely on a Strat's volume knob. It all comes down to how you play.
    Although I do like the visual clue with the push-pull of being able to tell if it is engaged at a glance, saying that I didn't know there was a push-push type!

You still get the same visual clue as the knob still sits higher when engaged.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast