Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: TL- electronic or pickup upgrades

I have the control plate reversed and play pretty hard (who doesn't after a few drinks at a party?) and don't have a problem with it popping out or in....the volume pot that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    You still get the same visual clue as the knob still sits higher when engaged.
    Ok, I like that idea better then, I could just slap it and turn it on, easier than grabbing it and lifting
    I do prefer the switch option to the 4-way slider option either way

I had a Warmoth Tele with a 4-way switch. I 'd much prefer it had had a 3-way switch and a switched pot.

Hmmmm... you guys have got me thinking (never a good thing ).

I used to have the 4-way switch in my Squier Classic Vibe 50's tele. I don't own that one anymore, but still have 3 other teles and I like the idea of the push-push pot. I might convert one of them to this arrangement just to make it a bit different from the other more traditional set ups.

I have been looking for another project... 😬
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I really like it, sounds great with the series mod.

I haven't tried the GFS foil pickups. May not be the vibe you're looking for, but I have a set of Lil Punchers (modern vintage) that I like pretty well. With both coils engaged they are a but thicker sounding than standard Tele, but not quite as thick as a standard humbucker. They are also pretty silent. I think they sound pretty good in single coil mode as well--really pretty much like you'd expect a Tele to sound. I don't have that many electric 6 strings so it's nice to be able to go back and forth.

One thing that I have generally not liked in Teles (maybe the only thing) is that the neck pickup generally sounds thin, and sometimes harsh as you said. In that regard the Li'l Punchers do well in either single coil or humbucking modes.

I looked at some youtube with the gold foils and the Toneriders. They both sound good on youtube ;-)

If I was to build another guitar with Tele pups, I am guessing I'd go for some sort of vintage tele pickup at the bridge. There's a reason why the tele bridge sound gets so much love. But I am not sure anyone really loves the sound of a tele neck pickup. I'd be inclined to use something better matched to the bridge or a little hotter in that position. Maybe a P90? [edit] I have a (wealthy) friend with a Tom Anderson Tele with a P-90 in the bridge position. It's one of the best sounding Tele's I've ever heard.
    Last edited by fender3x; 16-09-2021 at 06:19 AM.

Read into push-push pots. Found a lot of people saying they are having reliability issues with them and turned push-pull. That being said, if it goes, I'll put in a push-pull.

I haven't tried the GFS foil pickups. May not be the vibe you're looking for, but I have a set of Lil Punchers (modern vintage) that I like pretty well. With both coils engaged they are a but thicker sounding than standard Tele, but not quite as thick as a standard humbucker. They are also pretty silent. I think they sound pretty good in single coil mode as well--really pretty much like you'd expect a Tele to sound. I don't have that many electric 6 strings so it's nice to be able to go back and forth.

One thing that I have generally not liked in Teles (maybe the only thing) is that the neck pickup generally sounds thin, and sometimes harsh as you said. In that regard the Li'l Punchers do well in either single coil or humbucking modes.

I looked at some youtube with the gold foils and the Toneriders. They both sound good on youtube ;-)
    Had a look at the lil punchers, they are pretty neath! I honestly don't know how a Tele neck pickup would sound through my THR and it is hard to go off the YT video's as there is so much more to sound than just the pickups. In saying that though; comparing the tone rider TRT1 and TRT2 (same player and setup) I found the TRT1's sound much warmer and less trebly. They are my no.1 choice atm.
    I checked out the GFS, Iron gear, Bare knuckle pickups, but getting them to Australia will bring them up to the same price point or way higher than the tone riders, making my choice a bit easier.
    All in all the reason for going for a more original Tele set is that it will help me justify (through differentiation) a JM-style P90 build that I have been flirting with for a while. :-)

Oh dear....How many monsters have I created?!? Just remember though...if you want a pure Tele, then make a pure Tele. If you want something different then make something different. Saying that, I changed the pickup configuration 3 times, electronics 4 times, wiring style twice, etc, etc, until I got what I wanted. Something with good tone and versatile for my needs, not just a Tele sound. The Artist Bullbuckers do sound pretty good when split but they are not pure Tele neck sound, like a cross between Strat neck and Tele neck.

Quote Originally Posted by ILRGuitars View Post
    Oh dear....How many monsters have I created?!? Just remember though...if you want a pure Tele, then make a pure Tele. If you want something different then make something different. Saying that, I changed the pickup configuration 3 times, electronics 4 times, wiring style twice, etc, etc, until I got what I wanted. Something with good tone and versatile for my needs, not just a Tele sound. The Artist Bullbuckers do sound pretty good when split but they are not pure Tele neck sound, like a cross between Strat neck and Tele neck.
    Hahaha, I don't know man, perhaps only to have a baseline reference to the Tele and after that, I'll probably throw everything out of the window and start tinkering with everything.

Like you said:

Pots, capacitors, switches, wiring styles are all the cheapest and easiest thing to mod on a Tele. A good set of pickups, a good amp and a trip down the long road of finding "that" tone is all part of the fun of building.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast