Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: TL- electronic or pickup upgrades

You don't want the strings full diameter below the top of the slot except for the B and treble E.
    You definitely don't want the top of the nut too high above the strings, but exactly how much string is showing (if any) above the top, is really a matter of personal preference e.g. I file down so the nut is level with the top of all the strings.
    I thought I had put in a line about "opinions vary" regarding how much string is exposed (or not) above the nut, but apparently I only thought it, but didn't type it. So, there you go... two different opinions.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

It's not two different opinions, as our opinions are basically the same (file the top of the nut right down), but our preferences are slightly different (I am quite a pedantic person ).

Technically it's all about minimising the risk of a bit breaking off the nut and making the guitar unplayable.

I normally use a set of strings for setting up a guitar and then replace them once that's done, so it's easy enough to arrange that the last thing I do before swapping them is to file down the nut until I'm just catching the top of the set-up strings, then remove them to sand smooth and polish the nut before fitting the new strings.

So I finally received all the pieces:
    - Toneriders (vintage plus) / Pickguard, push/pull pot, orange cap 0.22, and tusq-nut.

Now I put everything together aaaand,.. I'm in two minds:
    - It's a shame to cover up the veneer with a pickguard
    - Yet, it would also be a shame not to use the tone riders just because of that.

In the picture you can see: 1. how it was (with GFS goldfoil neck), 2. How I can use an (ugly) black ring to mount the tele pickup, 3. fit the pickguard.

I am thinking to mount the pickguard using double-sided thin tape, chop the gold screws and glue them to the pickguard, this way I can always remove the pickguard without damaging the top.

Anyone done something like this before?
    It actually really is an in-between solution to push on whilst I make up my mind
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3gt.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	42101  

I still advocate for making your own pickup mounting ring out of a material of your choice that will be an enhancement more than the "ugly black" one.

Also, I wouldn't use double-sided tape on the finish if it was mine. I have no idea what's in the adhesive, but there's always a chance it could react with the finish over time. And, that stuff sticks like s**t to a blanket!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I still advocate for making your own pickup mounting ring out of a material of your choice that will be an enhancement more than the "ugly black" one.

Also, I wouldn't use double-sided tape on the finish if it was mine. I have no idea what's in the adhesive, but there's always a chance it could react with the finish over time. And, that stuff sticks like s**t to a blanket!
    Thanks McCreed, I will do some deep thinking on what material/colour/shape will be the best solution.
    And agree with your assessment of the tape. If I was sure about it all, I wouldn't have posted this

I like pic 1 and 3 best, FWIW. I haven't heard the GFS pickup, but if it performs as advertised that's the version I'd use. If it were me, I'd try it first, and go to one of the others if you don't like it.

I have a set of GFS lil'Punchers that are also advertised as "modern vintage" like the gold foils. I like them a lot. You could put a coil cut on on a push-pull pot or a microswitch to get the best of both worlds and see the veneer.... Just a thought ;-)

i agree with McCreed on both counts BTW. Tape over finish is a bad idea for the reason he said, and also because it can just plain pull the finish when you take off the pickguard.

I have made pickup rings from wood, and the nice thing about that is how easily and well wood takes finish--paint or stain. It would probably even take veneer. I made mine out of maple, but if I had do to it again, I'd probably use something softer to make them easier to sand and less likely to split with the grain.

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    I like pic 1 and 3 best, FWIW. I haven't heard the GFS pickup, but if it performs as advertised that's the version I'd use. If it were me, I'd try it first, and go to one of the others if you don't like it.

I have a set of GFS lil'Punchers that are also advertised as "modern vintage" like the gold foils. I like them a lot. You could put a coil cut on on a push-pull pot or a microswitch to get the best of both worlds and see the veneer.... Just a thought ;-)

You know what?! that is a great suggestion: I haven't even listened to the tonerider, so I'll switch between the tonerider and gfs and then decide which one I like best. If I like the GFS, she stays the same, if I like the tonerider best,...I'll go pickguard.
    I thought hard about other pickup ring options and made some mockups but I preferred the pickguard over other options with the tele pickup.

I bought some connectors a while back (one is already on the GFS) So I could swap pickups quickly in a test scenario, so I think they'll come in handy now. I'll keep you guys posted on the differences between those two pickups.

Re. coil split, it is the single-coil version in a humbucker size. (See link)

I'd also be curious how much difference there is between the tele pickup and the GFS in single coil mode...particularly since that's something I may eventually try ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    I'd also be curious how much difference there is between the tele pickup and the GFS in single coil mode...particularly since that's something I may eventually try ;-)
    Soo I have been testing!

Definitely the Tonerider trt1. Though the gfs isn't bad at all, the trt1 has more clarity and string separation. The gfs has a very bass heavy tone (always have found that) which give it warmth, but at the same time you'll lose some clarity.

Also felt the trt1 was a better fit in the middle position. So this means operation pickguard is a go haha

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast