Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: First build - PRS-1F

Small enough of a gap not to worry about. It should fill quite easily with whatever finish you plan to use.

Note that the neck does not sit with the tenon touching the rear of the neck pickup rout. The neck needs to be moved back so the end of the fretboard is 0.5mm-1mm beyond the front of the neck pickup rout, just enough so the edge of the pickup ring can sit on it without showing a gap into the rout itself. Otherwise the pickup won’t fit in the rout and the neck will probably be too far back to intonate the strings properly.

Wow great point Simon. I've just had another look at it and the pickup would not of fitted. Very glad you pointed it out. I'm glad to hear that you wouldn't worry about the gap it will save a heap of sanding.
    Phil

You'd be hard pressed to get a smaller gap than in that photo.

If you are going for a solid colour finish on the back/sides, then you can always put in a small amount of wood or grain filler first, then sand back. If stain and clear coat, then just brush in some of the clear coat into the gaps.

When gluing the neck, best to mask off around the join lines with masking tape to minimise glue spillage onto the wood, and then wipe away any excess glue asap after clamping with a damp cloth.

^^^^^^^^^^^
    what he said!!!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks guys. I did what I was told! And the neck is now glued and clamped on. Masking also helped line the neck up properly. I checked and the pick up does fit, very glad I dodged that bullet!
    Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glued.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	41727  
    Last edited by PhilB; 28-09-2021 at 06:53 AM. Reason: adding pictures

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Thanks guys. I did what I was told! And the neck is now glued and clamped on. Masking also helped line the neck up properly. I checked and the pick up does fit, very glad I dodged that bullet!
    Phil
    Good news. IMO, the building guidelines should be edited to include something about setting the neck to account for the pickup mounting ring. There have been others that weren't as fortunate as you and learnt too late!

Yeah I would agree with that McCreed, if i do another i might consider making a small wooden spacer to ensure i don't push the neck too far back. I'm really glad Simon noticed the mistake. I also haven't found any information about how long the glue takes to set. I'm thinking 24 hours should be enough and i will not be putting it under any strain for a while (still need another 15 or so coats of oil).
    Phil

If you used Titebond, they recommend an unstressed joint remain clamped for 24 hours.

I removed my clamp after 24, but like you, was still working on the finish so I knew the joint would well and truly set by the time I was ready to string it up.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    If you used Titebond, they recommend an unstressed joint remain clamped for 24 hours..
    Ahem. Titebond recommend 24 hours clamping for a stressed joint. Unstressed is 30-60 minutes. They don't recommend stressing a joint within 24 hours of removing the clamps.

As McCreed says, you'll normally have loads to do after you've glued the neck in before the guitar gets strung up and the neck joint stressed, so plenty of time for the glue to set fully.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Ahem. Titebond recommend 24 hours clamping for a stressed joint. Unstressed is 30-60 minutes. They don't recommend stressing a joint within 24 hours of removing the clamps.
    Yeah, I got my wires crossed. It was the not stressing for 24 hours is what I had in my head.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast