Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: First build - PRS-1F

I got my soldering done today! Got the last joint done, fitted 1 string, taped the output jack and pickups into place and plugged in the amp for the test - Nothing! Looked over all my wiring and realised that despite being very careful everything, I had the output wired backwards. Fixed that and tried again - Still nothing! Looked at the wiring for the pots - not much room in there, some wires might be touching maybe. So i poked things with a small screwdriver to make sure there was a bit of clearance around things and tried again - Success! I think 5 more strings will be even better and then I can finish it off. I very glad it works after spending a fair bit of time on its appearance.
    If I can put one together and have it work it says a lot about the kits. Still got some work to do but getting close to having a fully functioning guitar.
    PhilB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angle.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	41959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Body.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	41960  

Well done! That's a difficult soldering job with 2V 2T pots. Might be worth a careful dig around to see why it wasn't working straight away as otherwise it might come and bite you when you are halfway through 'Eruption' at Wembley...

Haha too funny! I've heard that's actually why Hendrix's guitar was on fire

My guitar is now finished and is playable! I have tuned it and sorted the intonation and will play with the action over time. Overall it has been a great experience building it and I am very happy with the result. I kind of miss building it to be honest. During this I have learned a lot and got some great advice on this forum. At least once I got much needed advice that stopped the project heading down a much less successful path. Thanks to everyone who offered advice and encouragement it was very much appreciated.
    A few things I learned along the way are:
    The neck does not have to go all the way to the back of the pick up cavity!
    Print out the wiring and keep detailed notes about what colour wire is connecting each part.
    If you need to remove a tune-o-matic bushing here is a good video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykWHdRypMUM
    Read other build logs, you will learn things that you didn't even know you needed to learn.
    But mostly I recommend asking questions if you are unsure - someone on here knows the answer.
    -Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finished.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	42048  

Awesome comments, I hope you enjoy your guitar, what’s next?

Haha. I should just practice playing for a bit. Hopefully someone else buys the "shop worn" ATL-1SB that is in the seconds area because it looks tempting.

Hah!! Looks like your safe. I just had a look, and it's now listed as "out of stock"!

(or did you buy it???? )

edit:

D'oh! My bad... I looked at the ATL-1Q... the ATL-1Sb is still there if you want it!
    Last edited by McCreed; 13-11-2021 at 02:40 PM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Haha. Wasn't me. A rare display of self control!

Quote Originally Posted by Andyxlh View Post
    Awesome comments, I hope you enjoy your guitar, what’s next?
    +1. The guitar looks great.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

The natural look goes well with the shape. Nice.

Are you going to fit a truss rod cover?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast