Thread: ZerO Glide Nuts

ZerO Glide Nuts

Anyone had any experience with these? I've ordered one for my AG kit coming from the US, but the last tracking update was over a month ago. At this rate I'll be finishing the kit with the bone nut and swap it out when (if) this turns up.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...ro-glide-nuts/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZerO_Glide_Nut.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	694.8 KB 
ID:	41598

2. Liked by: OliSam

I've not used these but my 1976 Shergold Masquarader has a zero fret, a concept that I like a lot because all the nut has to do is locate the strings laterally so no issues with the depth of the nut slots

I presume the 4 frets the are shown with are of different heights, s that they can match the height of the guitar frets?

On a Fender-style fitting, the 'teeth' are going to be very thin and the two end teeth even more prone to snapping off if caught than on a standard nut, so I'd definitely file down the excess height on the top of the nut as much as possible.

From the site pic, the fret doesn't appear to be very well seated, which would concern me. Especially as there are no tangs on the fret to hold it in place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	302.2 KB 
ID:	41649

I'd have gone for a stainless zero fret, as it's going to get more wear than a normal fret. I'd also have ordered a couple of replacement frets whilst they are still available. You never know how long the company will exist for. Though you can always swap back to a normal nut if you want (or need to).

Well, I've still got no idea where in the world my package is. Good thing I originally ordered the bone nut because I may have to use it if I want to finish this guitar.

I've tried Zero Glide nuts on both my Fender USA Strat and Fender Mexican Tele, and found them to be a bit finicky to get right, especially if you use the stainless steel frets, contrary to what they say on the website, I found that they didn't improve the tuning-stability of my two Fender guitars, the strings tended to go sharp or flat due to friction, I also didn't like the effect the Zero Glide frets had on the guitar's tone, I also had some difficulty with getting the individual string intonation at the 12th fret right too.