Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Build - TL-1

Great headstock shape, 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Andyxlh View Post
    Great headstock shape,
    Thanks mate, was definitely not according to the plan but glad it came out ok and in one piece!

Hi All,

Just an update, so been adding the layers of truoil on the neck and I’m pretty happy with the result. As for the body, have now stained it a few more times and the front seems good, but the back and sides have some whitish patches, tried to add more stain in those areas but doesn’t seem to make a difference. I’m ok with it. Been letting the body dry for about a few days between re-coats. May add one more coat as I have a bit of the dingotone stain left.

Just a question, for the final coat on the body, I have enough truoil to put on the body and also have the final coat from dingotone. In your experience is the dingotone final coat enough or do you add another layer of true oil over it? Just been reading some other posts about truoil over dingotone, but wanted to get some opinions,

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Liked by: ross.pearson

Looking good!

The body is looking great.

"Just a question, for the final coat on the body, I have enough truoil to put on the body and also have the final coat from dingotone. In your experience is the dingotone final coat enough or do you add another layer of true oil over it? Just been reading some other posts about truoil over dingotone, but wanted to get some opinions,"

Dingotone final coat should be enough! When I used it for my FVB-4 the first coat took a number of weeks to cure (but it was the middle of winter in Perth). So after the one coat I then applied lots of coats of tru-oil.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Davies View Post
    The body is looking great.

"Just a question, for the final coat on the body, I have enough truoil to put on the body and also have the final coat from dingotone. In your experience is the dingotone final coat enough or do you add another layer of true oil over it? Just been reading some other posts about truoil over dingotone, but wanted to get some opinions,"

Dingotone final coat should be enough! When I used it for my FVB-4 the first coat took a number of weeks to cure (but it was the middle of winter in Perth). So after the one coat I then applied lots of coats of tru-oil.
    Hey Trevor, thanks…did you mean, just apply 1 coat of dingotone final coat, and once cured add truoil?

Quote Originally Posted by vivek_rc View Post
    Hey Trevor, thanks…did you mean, just apply 1 coat of dingotone final coat, and once cured add truoil?

No sorry. If you are using Dingotone final coats, use it as per the instructions (ie 2 or 3 thin coats). If you are not happy with look after that then consider adding some coats of tru-oil.

I only added 1 coat as it was taking way longer than 24 hours to cure!
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Davies View Post
    No sorry. If you are using Dingotone final coats, use it as per the instructions (ie 2 or 3 thin coats). If you are not happy with look after that then consider adding some coats of tru-oil.

I only added 1 coat as it was taking way longer than 24 hours to cure!
    Cool, thanks Trevor. Will do that and see how the final coat looks.

Hi All,

Just an update, I’ve applied nearly 10 coats of truoil on the body, have left it to cure for some time in a warm area.
    Truoil does have a nice finish, takes time and patience, has to sand and reapply a few times as was getting some uneven areas. But I think finally it’s come out pretty good. Will leave it to cure for another week, Next for the finish will to wipe it with some polish and then a final buff
    Also got my pickguard with a humbucker cutout in the neck position. Will also start the measure and install the bridge on the weekend.

11. Liked by: Andyxlh

Nice work. The guard fits the neck very well. Did it come like that, or did you have to work on it?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast