Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Build - TL-1

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    No tuner issues there.
    Thanks Simon, will get into it first thing!

Looks good to me

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Hi all,

End result of my first headstock shaping, didn’t go exactly to plan but looks ok to me!

I like it! It's an homage to the tele headstock and it's all yours. Couldn't be more perfect.

Just did an initial coat of the dingotone butter scotch,

Might need to add a bit more white in the stain mix on the next coat, seems a bit orange to me. Will give it few days to dry and then put on the next coat

I’ve applied one coat of truoil on the neck, it’s come out nice, will again let it dry for 2 days and then apply a second coat

Quote Originally Posted by vivek_rc View Post
    Just did an initial coat of the dingotone butter scotch,

Might need to add a bit more white in the stain mix on the next coat, seems a bit orange to me. Will give it few days to dry and then put on the next coat

I’ve applied one coat of truoil on the neck, it’s come out nice, will again let it dry for 2 days and then apply a second coat

The stain may fade as it dries so might be no need to add more white. I used the Karijini Red Dingotone and the colour changed once dry.

With Tru-oil you may get away with 2-3 coats per day depending on conditions where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamjohnston80 View Post
    The stain may fade as it dries so might be no need to add more white. I used the Karijini Red Dingotone and the colour changed once dry.

With Tru-oil you may get away with 2-3 coats per day depending on conditions where you live.
    Thanks for the advice Graham, and get what you mean, the stain has faded slightly, I’ve only done one coat on the body and will leave till the weekend to add second coat. I went over the body with a chux scouring pad once it dried, instead of steele wool.

As for the neck, the truoil is coming up nice, so far I’ve applied two coats and used a scouring pad between applications. I was hoping it would give the neck a darker tint but seems truoil is more a clear coat with a very slight tint.

Tru-oil will go slightly amber over time, but you'll not see much colouration at all from just a couple of coats.

The amber tint builds up with each coat, so the more you put on, the darker the result.

Thanks Guy, will keep building up the layers on the neck, would like to get it a little darker

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast