Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Build - TL-1

Hi Guys

Just documenting my neck install,

Need a little bit more finer adjustments. Just doing this step to see how the neck lines up and get a rough idea of alignment.

With the neck seeming to be centered along the string as a guide, the neck doesn’t sit flush against the side of the neck pocket in the picture below. So my assumption is it’s better to align the neck based on how centered it is from the mid point of the nut and bridge? Is this correct?

Have yet to drill the neck holes in the body will do that next.

You want to align the neck with the two E strings in place and in their respective slots on the saddle and nut. Then you can see the relationship between the two strings and the edges of the fretboard.
    The dot inlays are not always a good indicator of the precise centre of the fretboard.

As for gap on the side of the pocket, it more aesthetics than performance. the mating of the bottom of the heel and pocket is far more important. In fact at least some gap is needed with bolt-on necks in order to allow for adjustment to align them. Contrary to popular belief, tighter is not better in this scenario. Set necks are a slightly different approach, but
    you still don't want the joint so tight that it requires force to get it in.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks MCreed, have done as advised and I’m getting a bit more confident.

It looks good, will widen the holes at the back and bolt the neck in

Yes, that's the way.

However, the high E string is a lot further away from the edge of the fretboard than the low E. (unless it's just camera angle???)

If you move the headstock downward (in the direction of the high E) it will decrease the margin there and simultaneously increase the margin on the low E side. You want the centre of the E strings to be equidistant from the edge of the fretboard. (I'd go at the 21st fret)

You want that neck alignment position sorted before you punch your holes in the heel. That's why it's recommended to clamp the neck into the pocket when align and marking.

Yes it’s the camera angle, the two E string are about the same distance from the respective edges…pretty even….will clap down the neck before marking the spots…thanks again

Hi Guys

So finally got the neck mounted, it’s not perfectly square but
    happy with the result, will now need to do the wiring and mount pick guard and string up the guitar

Getting close to the finish line now!

Hi Guys

Long delay between updates, but finally put the guitar together, all wired up and luckily electronics all work first time around. Got a 5way selector and can coil split the neck. Will put on the rest of strings and string tress. Have to read up on how to setup the guitar and intonate it. Thanks again for all the advice and support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Liked by: McCreed

Looking good. The black pickguard does go well (but so did the white one!). I had the same colour selection issue with my build TLA-1 build.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast