Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SH1 build - thoughts, questions, progress and otehr stuff

wow that will look really distinctive! Nice job

It should clash nicely with one of my other guitars which is a sort of deep purple "V".
    (Reminder to self - post a picture of The Kraken)

3. Liked by: Andyxlh

More flatting, more spraying, more flatting, more spraying. Slowly building up the finish before final flatting and polishing.
    And, started on getting some finish on the neck, this time using a satin varnish rather than the gloss on the body. The neck will probably be finished by just a final flatting with 800 or finer, and no polishing.
    Then its "just" screw it all together.........

Ive just discovered this thread and am super impressed with your progress and reshaping.
    I reckon that youve “fixed” what i considered a pretty unattractive guitar.
    It might even be my next adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the neck finish came together faster than expected. After about 6 coats with flatting between alternate coats it feels right so I'm leaving it there.
    Body is now drying after what I hope is the last coat (any more will mean a trip out to get another can spray varnish. So that's being left for a couple of days to properly dry and stretch before making that decision.

@simon - As you know the key word is "just".......... And of course I didn't mention the wiring, nothing fancy to start with to see what the kit pickups, pots etc sound like.
    @oli - Thanks, there was a fair bit of thought as to what the shape would be before I ordered which made the shaping simpler. BUT I nearly dropped a clanger as the control cut-out on the back was closer to the edge than I thought it was going to be - thankfuly I checked the cut line on the back as well as the front..... The real heart-stopper was the first cut as I had no idea how the timber would behave, pretty well was the answer. It also sanded nicely which was a blessing as there's one thing i don't like is doing lots of sanding (as opposed to flatting which I find quite therapeutic).

Great work Rob.
    Im actually really keen to know how the bridge/tuners work. If they’re smooth, stay in tune, or too complex??

Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...after what I thought (hoped) would be the final flatting the finish didn't look right, so another can of varnish is in order. Another few rounds of flat/spray/flat it now looks there on the front, but a bit more needed on the back. Once the back's had its "final" coat it will be onto "just" screwing it together (expect much muttering in the corner), soldering up the controls (even more muttering in the corner), "just" putting some strings on then into the so-called final set-up (you've guessed it, muttering....)
    And finally(?) plug it into an amp and let the neighbours enjoy another guitar joining my collection of playable guitars.

Finish is there or there abouts, not a full gloss, but a nice "warm" sheen.
    Bridge and neck installed. Boy is that spring in the bridge a feisty little thing, spent more time searching for it when it pinged out (repeatedly) as the bridge was being put back together. Great news was that the routing for the bridge is nicely aligned with the neck so no fitting needed, and thus attaching the fixed part of the bridge to the body was an easy task - did the outer two screws first, and once that was done a simple task to mark and pilot drill the other two holes.
    Next is to sort out mounting the pickups, and then wiring it up.

One thing of note is that the bridge has brass washers not the dreaded plastic ones.

I may get some pics tomorrow.

11. Liked by: OliSam

Good progress.

Maybe the Overlords manufacturers are finally taking note of the negative feedback they've been getting via forum posts and YouTube videos. When it doesn't take much to turn a design that functions poorly into one that works reasonably well, then why not do it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast