Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: SH1 build - thoughts, questions, progress and otehr stuff

Urgh - work got in the way for over a week, next week (hopefully) some progress should be made, probably wiring (fun) and tweaking necks (mine and the guitar). Then hopefully a bit of time to make some noises (or maybe even some nice notes in the correct sequence).

Is it really nearly two months since I last posted anything about the build of my SH1?
    Well, the date says so, thus it must be so.....
    No real progress apart from finishing painting the cavities with screening paint and sorting out a couple of very dodgy looking bits of wire, all very un-photogenic stuff, next is the actual wiring, but that will mean clearing the bench of work-work (as opposed to fun-work like guitars).
    In the meantime I see my next guitar has started to make its way around the world to the UK - hopefully Barry Tone won't take as long to complete as the SH1, but it probably will as we are now getting into the really bad painting/varnishing season......

Another month has passed.
    The SH1 is finished and plays quite well, but the pickups may need to find replacements. Hardest jobs were working out where the strap buttons needed to be and how to hang it up on the guitar wall (which still hasn't been done).
    Thanks to a shelf collapsing there is a now a mark on the back (old age and decrepidness on behalf of the shelf).

Barry Tone has arrived and a few basic checks made, great to see that the neck is in line with the pickups and bridge. Various bits have been ordered including slightly better tuners, and a piezzo bridge to replace the kit one. I'll let it sit to acclimatise to being in the UK rather than Western Australia before starting on the finishing process.

4. Liked by: OliSam

In case any hadn't gathered "Barry Tone" is a JZ6....
    Work has started, the headstock has been shaped, just a very simple curve, nothing too outrageous. And the outward facing surface of the headstock painted a somewhat LOUD shade of fluorescent orange (when has any fluorescent colour being anything less than LOUD?".
    A little bit of work was needed on the ends of some of the frets as they were a tiny bit ragged, but a few seconds with a blunt fine file sorted them out.

And so to the body. This has had the main rout modified to allow the bridge pickup to move nearer the bridge by about 15mm, the output jack is moving from sticking straight out of the face to down on the side; in part this is to allow the bridge pickup change-over switch to be on the top (more about that later), and the trem pocket filled (I don't play with a trem, so why have that hole and hardware?).
    I've just tried a small patch with the paint that's going to be used for the body, and, as expected with a water based paint, it's done a great job of lifting the grain so I'll let that dry and sand it back.

(By the way - Is there any way to edit the thread title????)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3