Thread: Help! My maple neck has weird spots on it!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help! My maple neck has weird spots on it!

So, I got a couple of custom orders (1xMMB4 and 1xMMB5 bass guitars) from PBG last year. What with one thing or another it's taken us a while to really get stuck into working on them.

The necks are full maple - neck and fingerboard. I'd looked into what stains to use and decided on Tung Oil. I got the Feast Watson Timber floor Tung Oil. I tried it on some pine wood to get some idea of what it might look like and I was happy with it.

This is where I might have stuffed up, though. I sanded the neck and then smoothed it out with steel wool 0000 grade. This seemed fine to me. I'm pretty sure I got all the steel wool particles off - but it's possible that wasn't good enough and I may have ended up with some on the fingerboard in between fret and fingerboard.

Anyway, I tried staining with the Tung oil and the neck starts looking grey with grey spots. I panicked and tried sanding off to try to get the spots off. I sanded with coarse grain sandpaper and then progressively smoother until I used 1500 we-and-dry. I thought I had got the spots off at least on the back but after about 2 weeks, the spots look like they are back.

So my questions are:
    1. Has anyone else seen anything like this before?
    2. Is there anything I can do about it?
    3. Is it possible this is in the wood itself?

Either way, I'm not going to use steel wool again on maple (I wouldn't have thought that was a problem, though). The steel wool was from Bunnings.

I'm hesitant to do the other neck until I'm confident this isn't going to happen again.

Attached is an image. It's a bit blurry, but hopefully, you can see what I mean.

Cheers,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3066.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	391.5 KB 
ID:	41484  
    1. DHB-5F

There are 10 types of people in the world.
    Those who understand binary and those who don't.