Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney lockdown - JB Bass My 1st build!

Sydney lockdown - JB Bass My 1st build!

Hi everyone. My name痴 Josh. I知 new here! I知 starting my first build during the Sydney lockdown. I知 a keen bass player but could never afford a $3,000 bass so thought I would have a go at building my own exactly how I want it. I知 having a go at a JB with ash body and maple neck.

So I致e started my mock build and one issue I致e discovered straight away is that my pickups are not sitting quite right. They both fit in the cavities, but the bridge pickup sits with a bit of a slant and the neck pickup sits way too low. How do people solve this? Do you glue an extra piece of wood inside the cavity to bring the level of the pickup up?

Hi and welcome Learjet.
    I have not built a JB. But, I thought the pickups were mounted into place with 4 x screws with springs so there will be 4 points for adjusting the height and angle of each pickup.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Trevor thank you! That is so obvious I can't believe I didn't see it! (*Facepalm) Yes the JB kit has springs with the screws which clearly are for mounting the pickups to the right height.

I have a feeling I'm going to be asking a few "dumb" questions throughout this build so I really appreciate your patience and thank you for your welcome!

It's the questions you don't ask and then go and do something wrong that are the stupid questions.

Hi and welcome.

Welcome! I have built exactly that kit, it is awesome!
    I can recommend the Benson pickups for it, the bone nut and orange capacitor upgrade too
    Hope you have a lot of fun with your project

This was my first build too!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Instead of sprinngs, many also use foam. Some after market pups come with the foam (aside from the foam packaging ).

Quote Originally Posted by Andyxlh View Post
    Welcome! I have built exactly that kit, it is awesome!
    I can recommend the Benson pickups for it, the bone nut and orange capacitor upgrade too
    Hope you have a lot of fun with your project
    Thanks Andy! Can I ask how you changed over to the bone nut? My neck came with the plastic nut already in & I知 pondering how to get it out. Did you grip it with pliers and pull it out? Or did you prise it out with a tiny flathead screwdriver? Did you have to use some wood glue to glue the bone nut into the cavity?

The plastic nut is usualy not bonded super aggressively to the neck so a few taps with a hammer or mallet usually gets it off.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast