Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Plasticaster Build

Yeah, fair call. I'm running lower and lower on stock around the house as well.. might have to order a big batch to be delivered soon.

Quote Originally Posted by andybanks View Post
    Yeah, fair call. I'm running lower and lower on stock around the house as well.. might have to order a big batch to be delivered soon.
    I couldn't even find anywhere that would do delivery for it... I'd load up on paint as well if I could. The black I've been spraying it with is destined to be the base coat on my Jurassicaster build. I might scrape by. Maybe.

I found somewhere to order a filler primer from and have a couple of cans on order.
    Looking at the state of the plastic even after sanding, it's gonna annoy me, so hopefully this helps take the edge out.

Progress update:
    All of the patterned outer components are now down.
    Waiting on:
    - Centre - currently printing. At 100% infill, this is about 390grams of plastic alone.
    - Centre neck. That's next. It's bigger and heavier, and I'll need to change filament before I do this bit.
    - Glue. It's coming. The original build guide suggests gluing from the centre out, so I'll go with it that way.
    - Neck. I may have ordered a black neck that's in transit. Oops.
    - Headstock logo. I'm gonna try something different and have a raised logo and axe name on the headstock. I'll 3D print them in white, lay down a coat of polyurethane and see if that'll hold it. Then I'll see what happens if I add a few extra coats over the top. A little experimentation involved, but it should be super light so I imagine if I put it down as soon as I've put on a slightly heavy coat, it might be enough to hold.

I hope the centre prints work out well. Every time i have printed dense parts of any significant size, i get warping, but that is more likely to do with the lack of a cabinet and variations in temperature than the machine itself. I'm crossing all my fingers and toes for you. :-)

I hope the centre prints work out well. Every time i have printed dense parts of any significant size, i get warping, but that is more likely to do with the lack of a cabinet and variations in temperature than the machine itself. I'm crossing all my fingers and toes for you. :-)
    Cheers! Yeah, had my fair share of those kinds of dramas. I wound up buying an enclosure which has helped. On long prints I leave it unzipped a bit as it gets too hot in there, but it certainly helps. Mines in front of a window and under the central heating vent, so it was copping it a lot before I did that.

My biggest concern at the moment is that I can see a support being printed in a really, really bloody difficult spot to pull out. Time will tell I guess!.

Oh dang! Hopefully something you can get at with an old guitar string or a Dremel if needed.

Oh dang! Hopefully something you can get at with an old guitar string or a Dremel if needed.
    It looks like it's directly behind a pickup, but has a solid back behind it. Only ways in are through the pickup hole (its single coil), or around a 90 degree bend. It'll be fiddly enough to get a pup in. It's filling the entire cavity so its bigger than the pup hole. I should be able to get a sharp pair of cutters through the middle and get a few layers out. Usually enough to grab with the needlenose pliers and start trying to break it up (something the rest of the print has made me familiar with). As long as I can do it cleanly it should be OK.

I did just glue together the pieces that I had to cut to print. Some slight gaps between them so I've just packed them with a little more of the plastic glue. It's a 2 part that apparently cures in 30 mins. I'll leave it tonight and if time permits tomorrow I'll clean up the excess glue with some sandpaper and try to get it in a reasonable state for spraying.

I'm assuming that the logo I've printed on to this, given its fine detail, probably should be given a wide berth with the filler primer?

Yeah, I'd spend the time on the logo getting it as good as possible first, a small amount of primer filler might not hurt, but it will require even more fiddling around to finish it off.

I'm excited to see it all coming together. Are you tired of listening to the printer in the background?

Yeah, I'd spend the time on the logo getting it as good as possible first, a small amount of primer filler might not hurt, but it will require even more fiddling around to finish it off.

I'm excited to see it all coming together. Are you tired of listening to the printer in the background?
    Noted.
    Printer doesn't bother me. Only time it's really stopped in the past 3 months or so is when the change from PLA to PETG back to PLA kept causing some clogging issues so I replaced the bowden tube and had to wait for a couple of weeks. I seem to keep finding things I need, so I keep printing

Awesome.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast