Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Plasticaster Build

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    That’s right, stop thinking, start doing. Let loose your inner Ig0r!
    Ha! My bank account has been adequately drained this fortnight lol. I've spent way more than I've made
    That said, I've amassed a router and a jigsaw in the past week so I'm starting to get the wood working tool collection up. Dunno about scarf joints yet though. Been a long time since woodwork in high school. I might have a crack at assembling some set neck kits before I take that leap.

I'm starting to get the impression that I'm not the only person here who'll stray far from the beaten path just for the sake of carving ones own path.

Progress shots.
    This is the bottom tail end.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210826_180014.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	41401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210826_180006.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	466.4 KB 
ID:	41402
    The whole dinosaur/Jurassic Park thing is **long** story, Yes it will factor into my builds..

I've attacked various ridges and other sharp bits with a file. I've done some cleanup around the logo though it needs more work. I hit it briefly with 400 grit early this morning, but I really need to hit it with something a bit coarser to clean up the layer lines. I'm not to worried about the inside, but the outside will definitely need to be smoothed out.
    Once it's ready, I'll pull the last support off and spray the inside while I still have reasonable access to do so.

Looking promising.

It's probably too late, bit have you thought about leaving some cavities with covers that you can fill with little sand bags old used batteries to balance the weight out if needed? The PLA should be strong enough, because you have some geometry on your side, but I worry it might flex a bit. Hopefully it won't impact the final product.

I'm keen to see how this goes, because I might be tempted to do version 2 once i see all the tricks of the build.. I did quarter cut some gum last weekend, but it is only 600mm long so won't quite support a neck and headstock. Dang!

I do have a much larger felled tree down the back of my property that I might needs to see if I can source a long enough piece for this sort of experimental build.

Remember, If nobody tries anything different, nothing will ever change.

Oh this gone be good. RE: rigidity, have you considered carbon fibre and epoxy wrap?

Looking forward to seeing the updates, maybe I'll print one myself!

Another couple of pieces printed this morning, so the whole lower section of the body is now printed.

I hit the first part with the sandpaper for a while this morning to see if I could knock out some of the layer lines that were present. I don't want to go too hard on it or I risk loosing some of the texture around the gaps. I threw it in the makeshift spray booth and hit it was some paint just to see how it'll come up. Will know more once it's dried off.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210828_085224.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	373.0 KB 
ID:	41428

That's looking pretty good. Sanding PLA can be tricky, you could hit it with a primer filler first to fill in the layer marks, and then sand the filler back, it might be easier to sand and will be less risky of burning through to the fill pattern.

Probably not the worst idea. If it wasn't for this damned lock down, I'd sneak out and buy some primer. The can I'm using at the moment has primer in with the paint apparently.. One of those 2 kids driving me nuts at Bunnings 30 minutes before lockdown came into effect and me not being able to find what I actually wanted kind of purchases lol.
    I've just sanded and sprayed another piece. 2 coats seems to be enough to fill in pretty well from I can see in the garage light. I might get the other piece finished off later and see how it's actually looking in daylight.

Lockdown does add a new level of complexity don't they. I'd probably look at Supercheap before Bunnings for something like this, it tends to be more auto body repair than home repairs sort of stuff. Can you still do click and collect?

P.s. I get the kids thing, I don't think I've had a phone call in a month where I didn't have to stop and manage one of my kids mid sentence.

Cool cheers. I will hunt down some if I look to be running into trouble. Should be able to do click and collect, but I'm gonna have a tough time explaining why I had to drive that far across town :P
    Looks like this stuff will be useful for other projects too.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast