Thread: EVH Frankenbass

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

EVH Frankenbass

A few years ago I built a frankenstein strat, as close as I could get it to be without throwing big cash at it, as I'm not really a great guitarist! It came out really nicely, and is fun to play, I have even dragged it out for the odd gig, but am a bit shy to strut around on stage with it much, as mangled versions of 'ain't talkin' 'panama' and 'hot for teacher' is about as good as I'll ever get, but as a guitar it's great. I made some mods for the electrics and the front pickup works and the humbucker can be coil tapped too.
    During the last lockdown I bought a ratty Sportster that had been standing in a shed on a farm for 12 years, and chopped it into a Cafe racer. That was lots of fun, and it got the same EVH paint scheme:
    Name:  Cafe Racer 2.JPG
Views: 1126
Size:  44.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_1587.JPG
Views: 1103
Size:  38.5 KB
    So, as a bass player, I thought I'd have a go at a Frankenbass. Not really sure what that means yet, but it will have a dummy pickup, mix of parts, red/white/black paint and be generally chopped from strat/precision parts.
    I was going to put a MM style pickup in it to mimic the guitar, but I much prefer the sound of the Precision bass so I'm going with that. I have a MM style bridge with through body holes I'll use, as well as a dummy front JB pickup and strat scratch plate and jack socket.
    Here's a pic of the new PB kit with my frankenstein:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comparison.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	738.7 KB 
ID:	41381
    The kit arrived and looks great, except for a badly mismatched ash body. Doesn't matter for this project at all.
    I'm still not sure what it will look like, but we have a couple of potential gigs at bike shows where I'll enter the cafe racer, so I'll have the matching bass!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	body.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	695.1 KB 
ID:	41382
    Last edited by Andyxlh; 26-08-2021 at 08:01 AM.

2. Liked by: PJSprog